Green Beret Prepares for Night Jump with M1 Carbine

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

A slow summer evening here.  I ran across this photo and liked it.  It purports to be of a 1st Special Forces Group sergeant in the early 1960s, but that unit ID may be suspect.  Location is unknown.

I noticed that he was carrying an M1 Carbine with the bayonet lug.  Is the method/location where he is carrying the Carbine standard operating procedure?  In that muzzle down orientation I would think chances are very good for dirt in the muzzle when he touches down and rolls.

Regards,

Charlie

M1 Carbine with Spec Forces Sgt .jpeg

Charlie- As far as I know that would be the correct  way  to jump with an exposed M1 carbine.  I do have many jumps with an exposed M-16, which was attached in a similar way, but turned so the carry handle faced forward, and the belly band ran through it. But, we usually had a plastic muzzle cover for the barrel, or lightly taped. This would help to keep the dirt out, or prevent it from injuring  your leg. As far as the M1 carbine not sure what if any SOP they had for barrel protection. SKIP

Charlie Flick

Aha.  That makes sense, Skip.  Thanks for your reply.

Charlie

Sgt. BARney

My experience is similar to SKIPH - jumping with M16 (or CAR-15) was always muzzle down. Jumping with the muzzle up there would have been a good chance for the muzzle/barrel to get fouled up with the risers or static line. We would put a couple layers of duck tape on the muzzle to keep out dirt or mud.

• 4 weeks later...

Also looks to be carrying one of the WWII era bino cases that were re-painted OD after WWII... Is that what everyone else sees?