Flak Helmet Worn By Infantry

Ronnie

Blacksmith

Hi Ronnie - If you mean the third GI from the left having on an M3 Flak helmet, that is what I see.  

What’s funny is the posture of the soldier leading the formation, as if he’s looking at him  and saying, “Private, what the heck is that thing on your head?!”

Seriously though, great photo.

phantomfixer

I kinda like the jeep seat(?) and MG mount(?)....and of course the flak helmet....you'd think they'd flop around when running, like a beagles ears....

M24 Chaffee

From a distance that flak helmet could mistakenly look like a German helmet! I hope he made it through the war!

1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

Hi Ronnie - If you mean the third GI from the left having on an M3 Flak helmet, that is what I see.  

What’s funny is the posture of the soldier leading the formation, as if he’s looking at him  and saying, “Private, what the heck is that thing on your head?!”

Hahahahah you’re right. It does look like the officer is making a comment about his lid. Good eye.

59 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

I kinda like the jeep seat(?) and MG mount(?)....and of course the flak helmet....you'd think they'd flop around when running, like a beagles ears....

Phantom I was so taken by the flak helmet I failed to notice the jeep seat. Cool modification. Thanks.

sgtdorango

Theres a closeup from that scene/photo on the forum somewhere and he actually has a helmet net over the flak helmet!!.....mike

6 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Ha!  He probably got a lot of flak for wearing it.

Mikie

Blacksmith
3 hours ago, sgtdorango said:

Theres a closeup from that scene/photo on the forum somewhere and he actually has a helmet net over the flak helmet!!.....mike

Probably to keep @phantomfixer’s “beagle ears” from flappin’

Unusual... According to the caption from another site, the location is Siebenaler. Luxembourg on February 7, 1945 and the men are from the 17th A/B Division, Recon Platoon. Brigadier General Miley (back) honors Lieutenant John S Knight Jr (third from left in a USAAF M3 Flak helmet with net) of the 17th Reconnaissance Unit. Knight was awarded a Bronze Star for an action on Jan. 21, 1945. Knight was KIA on March 29, 1945. Some glider pilots wore M3s. Maybe that's how Lieut. Knight found one or maybe his duties required him to wear a radio headset.

Tom

Lieut Knight The_Akron_Beacon_Journal_Fri__Apr_20__1945_ (1).jpg

Could the the 2 pictures be if the same call event? The guy wearing the flak helmet is wearing the same clothing and scarf? 

phantomfixer
1 hour ago, 644td said:

Could the the 2 pictures be if the same call event? The guy wearing the flak helmet is wearing the same clothing and scarf? 

no doubt the location is the same...look at the background in robin's pic, the door with the horizontal brace, it can be seen in the original post pic 

Excellent photo. I know GIs were known to trade for things such as tanker jackets, I wonder if the same thing occurred here? I have no clue how an M3 would end up down there, but hey war was hectic.

9F993D43-EC9D-4DDF-A2FC-E61A6E94DF3B.png

B3F44C57-4B5A-4204-9157-ECCB4988C934.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Excellent photo. I know GIs were known to trade for things such as tanker jackets, I wonder if the same thing occurred here? I have no clue how an M3 would end up down there, but hey war was hectic.

9F993D43-EC9D-4DDF-A2FC-E61A6E94DF3B.png

B3F44C57-4B5A-4204-9157-ECCB4988C934.jpeg

Could have obtained the helmet from a GLider pilot /Troop Carrier element who the 17th worked with. I have a GLider pilots group that has a M42 jump jacket in it. WHen I spoke with him he didnt recall where he got it. 

"Tanker" Jackets were just Cold Weather Combat jackets and could be issued to anyone but seems the Armored Forces ended up with many of them. We see the Jackts often in Italy with the 34th Division, 3rd Division, Rangers and others.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:04 AM, phantomfixer said:

Not a machinegun mount, but a radio antenna base. That's an MP-37 antenna mount on top.

pararaftanr2
9 hours ago, 644td said:

Yes, and the officer awarding him the decoration is the same officer facing the troopers in the first photo. Note the same barn / garage door on both photos as well, as mentioned previously.

The man wearing the flak helmet is lieutenant John Knight Jr., 17th airborne. Picture taken on February 7, 1945 in Siebenaler, Luxembourg. 

Florian-Stawikowski

Hello,

It's the first time I see a M3 helmet weared by a infantryman ! Great pictures.

Cheers,

Florian.