WWII M5 Smoke Pot crate

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I recently picked up this WWII M5 smoke pot crate and thought it was unique enough to share.  The crate has some pretty cool markings.  It was packed by the Pemco Corp. in October, 1944.  It features a Chemical Corp inspection stamp, blue corner markings for chemical warfare overseas shipping and grey/yellow/grey markings for white phosphorus smoke.  I figure this crate must be on the scarce side as I could not find another WWII example searching the internet.  You can only imagine however the interesting search results when one enters "smoke pot".    

smoke1.jpg

smoke2.jpg

smoke3.jpg

Kaptainssurplus

If only I had my M5 smoke pots still, I had 2 but both were lost in shipping. Not sure how you loose a 20ish pound almost 5 gallon bucket size item, let alone 2 off them!

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for checking it out!  From what I understand the smoke pots were used for both training purposes and in combat.  Since my crate was shipped overseas it is possible the smoke pot it once contained was used in combat.

Fixbayonets!

phantomfixer - I think you may have read that wrong.  I did not buy it overseas, the crate is marked with a blue corner indicating it was meant for shipment overseas during the war.

Actually I bought this crate in Delaware last week.  I am willing to bet the crate you are referring to and my crate are one and the same! 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...