Please need help researching a US WW1 signal corps vet grouping

Juadalcanal

Juadalcanal

Hello I desperately need help identifying the veteran in this grouping who was in the signal corps and I assume was also in the 89th division (177th infantry brigade). The name is on the back of his photo and in the infantry drill regulations book. (Ignore the collar discs and pocket bible they belong to a different man who has already been identified) I can only read Herbert M ——za other than that I can barely read it. If somebody can please figure out his full name for me and look into him I would appreciate it a ton. I have had no luck so far, everybody I’ve asked so far couldn’t figure out his last name. Thank you, and if you have any more questions or want more photos of something specific let me know! Medals and inside of his hat are not engraved or named.

7521AE8F-3C93-4F8A-8377-93CF3899E8A1.jpeg

7ADECE64-2B28-4B98-A7CD-D692EB0ADDD7.jpeg

6EE724C4-F249-44E8-BC69-9B3E30471D34.jpeg

4F2747A3-5115-4210-8BB4-7BAEAD9E5F5B.jpeg

9D359D25-AC1A-432D-B17F-5FCCC3E62BE7.jpeg

698CFCED-8756-497A-B9F6-F0E90E3D3A01.jpeg

Juadalcanal
On 7/6/2022 at 11:51 PM, CAC1901 said:

The last name looks like Hruza, which is Chech. Herbert M Hruza.

Tried it, have not had any luck.

Juadalcanal

I assume you mean the state guard medal? There is no number on it, I’ve checked the edges. Unless you mean there’s a number on the back? Because I do see a 135. I doubt that’s anything though

Juadalcanal
13 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

What number is on the NY Aquaduct medal?

12 minutes ago, Juadalcanal said:

I assume you mean the state guard medal? There is no number on it, I’ve checked the edges. Unless you mean there’s a number on the back? Because I do see a 135. I doubt that’s anything though

There are rolls for these medals to match them with the recipient however they are not complete but always worth checking

Bill

Juadalcanal
Just now, USMCR79 said:

There are rolls for these medals to match them with the recipient however they are not complete but always worth checking

Bill

Oh dang it. Thank you anyways, you could’ve been onto something. I appreciate it.

Juadalcanal
8 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

https://mdh.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/wwiuh/id/6120/rec/1

The 314th Field Signal Bn. was assigned to the 89th Division

The above link is an electronic copy of the unit history with roster

Bill

Man, I can’t thank you enough for this. Thank you so much. I’ll check and see if he might be on here. I appreciate it!!