The Secret POW Diary of Walter J. Hinkle - Prisoner of the Japanese during WWII

ramram

Many of you may remember the diary grouping that I posted almost a decade ago regarding Walter Hinkle as a POW of the Japanese.  Several members at that time had asked about it being published.  I'm glad to announce, after several years of hard work, fellow member Jim Pollard has done just that!  Available through Amazon and several other sites as of July 1, 2022.  

Here is the link to the original posting on this site:  

The book is nearly a full transcription of the lengthy, detailed diaries of Hinkle along with dozens of color photos.  He has also added short diary entries from other sources for context.  

Thank you Jim for your HARD work bringing this diary group to the public!

Rob M

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 11.24.28 AM.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I have just come across this book about Walter J Hinkle and would like to contact the Author. I have been trying to find out more about Walter for years. My father Reginald Fitzpatrick (Deceased) served in the Royal Australian Navy in WW2 and was stationed in Darwin during the Japanese Air raids of 1942. He had a very intriguing connection to Walter during that time that involved receiving a "Card" with Walters details from a civilian sailboat entering Darwin Harbour in 1942 with evacuees from the Philippines. Dad always understood that it was Walter that gave him the card. Many years after the war and through a series of bizarre encounters, my father managed to track him down and discovered that it was not Walter on the sailboat. There in is a mystery. Dad returned the "Card" to Walter and continued to exchange correspondence with him until Walters death. Dad passed away some years back now but I have always been fascinated with this part of my Fathers life and who was on that boat with Walters "Card". I would love to know if Walter has any surviving family.

The Card.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Kurt Barickman

Jim did a great job with this book but he has done a great work with all his other books.

Kurt