D guard short sword, unknown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was poking around trying to figure this out. As I thought this is a possibility. "During the Revolutionary War, infantrymen carried a hanger—a type of short sword, with a blade about twenty-five inches long—as a secondary weapon to supplement their musket in close combat." This came from a web site talking about a confirmed Revolutionary war infantry man's short sword made by an unknown blacksmith. The photo is from another site showing another Revolutionary short sword with a guard that has the same basic design as mine.

revolutionary_swords_related_keywords_suggestions.jpg

Just a thought and a guess, it might be a sword that the wooden grip part was damaged and removed and a plug slipped over the tang tang to fit into the muzzle and it was converted to  a plug bayonet1

3 minutes ago, rayg said:

Just a thought and a guess, it might be a sword that the wooden grip part was damaged and removed and a plug slipped over the tang tang to fit into the muzzle and it was converted to  a plug bayonet1

Mmmm, I don't think that's quite right. I agree the grip was wood, but I think that ring over the tang was used to secure the grip. Look at the end of the tang and you will see it is really hammered on to secure the guard in place. This is a fighting sword it is not pretty, but it is functional.

• 3 months later...

I posted this on a sword collectors forum and a collector from Spain came back with this opinion. "Looks like Spanish colonial "espada ancha" mid to late XIX century. These were the hangers/short swords worn by the 'Soldados de Cuera' or presidial troopers in the northern frontiers of New Spain (Mexico)"  He is of the opinion is dates around 1845 to 1885. I have contacted the Gean Autry Musem to find out if they concur. The attached photo is  a Espada Ancha that is in Texas.

Huge-Spanish-Colonial-Short-Sword-or-Espada-Ancha_100775259_13849_EBC4DD22B6AA9CA6.jpg