Artillery Junk Pile

I made one of my 100-year or so cleanup attempts the other day and found this pile of Civil War artillery fragments.  I bought many of them from an older gentleman that used to have a table at the local flea market 25-30 years ago.  He said they were all dug in the Richmond VA area.  For less than 5 buck each, I just could not keep from grabbing one or two each time I saw him. I tried IDing them as best I could but many are still a mystery to me.  When I get a chance, I'll post pictures of some of them and see if anyone can tell what they are better than I can. 

Anyone else have a similar "collection"?  I'd love to see them and hear your stories. 

Mikie

CW Artillery Stuff.jpg

M24 Chaffee

That’s a cool collection! I’m sure a knowledgeable member can help when you post other photos. I also bought a few $5 pieces that were purported to have been dug at Gettysburg. About 6 years ago from a small kiosk in an antique mall. A few pieces of a parrot shell and possibly a 12lb shell along with some grapeshot. 

Frank

It can be fun trying to match up an old rusty bit of metal to pictures of complete shells, but I'm afraid that my skills at such things is not that great.  I'm more of a Dr Watson than a Sherlock Holmes. But I like a challenge, even when I crash and burn at it.  I usually end up learning something new along the way. 

Mikie

Here are 2 shell bases. Both are from 10 pounders.  The one on the left I believe is a Union Parrot.  The one on the right I believe is a Confederate Read.  Can anyone confirm or correct me?  

Mikie

Parrot Read.jpg

Parrot Read 2.jpg

Just gotta love those ugly old rusty chunks of metal.  God bless anyone who got in their way, though.

Mikie