U.S. Air Force Weapons Expert Tab?

Basic Rifleman

Go to solution Solved by Randy,

Basic Rifleman

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right sub-forum, but I'm interested in knowing more about these (I believe) USAF "Weapons Expert" shoulder tabs. I found a site that identified this design as being used by the USAF Air Defense Command and then briefly by the USAF Tactical Air Command. Can anyone confirm this? I can't find much else on the internet on these tabs and would love someone to let me know more definitively what these are, when they were used, and by whom. Thanks in advance!

we1.jpg

• Solution

What you have written is true. These arcs (several designations/variations) were placed over the top of the ADC qualification patch, and later, after being absorbed by TAC in 1978, the aircraft qualification patch. Here's an example of each, though these are the one piece versions you get the idea.

Randy

f106 ade wi 1.jpg

adc e wi.jpg

Basic Rifleman

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the knowledge, Randy. I'm still having a hard time finding an example of these online with the weapons expert "Arcs". Do you know if the weapons expert arcs were short lived, or extremely hard to qualify for?

The tabs were around maybe 15 years max. The ADC Qualification patches showed up late 50s and were used until 1979. The tabs I saw from the early 70s, not sure if used earlier. The weapons specific one was probably harder to find as maybe one or two guys in a squadron would be designated unit weapons officers, very experienced individuals that kept abreast of new tactics and employments and ensured the rest of the squadron was trained.

Randy

Basic Rifleman

Wow. I appreciate the specificity. DM me if you're interested in one. I have two and will send you one if you don't already have this patch in your collection. 

Thank you for your kind offer, but I have one. Honestly, it's just fun to help people understand what they have. I'm a big believer in sharing what I know. was gonna post this earlier but got distracted, a part of my ADC qual patches. The Master was only awarded to one pilot/WSO/RIO per unit. Worldwide was for those in the F-106 community that were air refueling qualified and deployable. The 100 is an enigma that I have not gotten a good answer on yet. 100 alerts, hours, missions? No idea, yet...

Randy

adc.jpg