Identified photograph find of white officer with the 816th Pioneer Infantry

Tonomachi

I found this photograph at an antique shop which was taken on November 21, 1918 and identified to a Lt. Dan C. Wingren.  I found him on Find-A-Grave (Dan Clyde Wingren 6 Apr 1891 - 3 Apr 1952) with another picture of him in uniform.  I found that he served as a First Lieutenant with Company L, 816th Pioneer Infantry which I believe was an all black regiment.  Early on for a short period of time he served as Second Lieutenant with Company I, 158th Infantry Regiment.  

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/67863139/dan-clyde-wingren

DSCF2804.JPG

DSCF2806.JPG

67863139_1402701016.jpg

Brian Keith

Great photo! Excellent that it was ID! It isn't clear to me what holster he is wearing. I see he has the M1917 revolver ammunition pouches.

Thanks for posting it!
BKW

Hi Tonomachi - I hope you don't mind me posting some additional information on Lt. Wingren.

His WWI Draft Registration Card:

00 WWI DRC.jpg

And, WOW, a quick PSA on the SS Talthybius - she saw some stuff:

"Talthybius was a 10,224 GRT Cargo liner that was built in 1911 by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Greenock, Renfrewshire, United Kingdom for a British shipping line.

She was sunk at Singapore in an air raid in 1942.

Salvaged by the Japanese, she was renamed Taruyasu Maru, serving with the Imperial Japanese Navy until 1945 when she either struck a mine off Sado Island and sank or was sunk in an attack by aircraft of Task Force 38.

She was salvaged by the British, passed to the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT) and renamed Empire Evenlode. She served until 1949, when she was scrapped."

(Information from Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Talthybius_(1911))

Many thanks for posting this additional information as the free genealogical site I use has limited access to military records.  Initially I thought he was with the Military Police Corps due to the chain from his epaulette button to his pocket where I assumed a whistle was stored but according to his muster rolls he was infantry.  I've attached a close up photo to see if you can make out the holster better.

DSCF2808.JPG