Luger Pistols used by US in Philippines, early 1900’s

digi-shots

I was doing some reading on US equipment and saw an article that mentioned US horse mounted troops using the Luger pistol in the Philippines. This would be the trial run of the standard 1900 model Luger developed for for the U.S. in 1906/1907.. You see them occasionally for sale - “American Eagle” Luger.  It was never adopted by the US. 

Does anyone have any further info on the use of this Luger in the Philippines or photos of mounted troops with the pistol.  

(interesting drawing below of US soldiers shooting the Luger… both are left handed or original negative was reversed)

Thanks 

D2039B36-D82F-4437-BFC1-F87298461E60.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Bill in VA

Jan Still said, of your question about the use of Lugers in the Philippines:

One thousand test Lugers (7.65 cal) were delivered to the U. S. Springfield Armory in late 1901. Most were distributed to U.S. Cavalry troops involved in police actions in the Philippines and Cuba. As the American Cavalry troops had used revolvers (Colt .45 and .38) for over 30 years, the small caliber, complex Luger, was viewed with some suspicion and not readily accepted. There were complaints as to small caliber, safety while riding from horseback, and unreliable action. As a result of these reports 50 Lugers in caliber 9mm were briefly tested by the Army in 1904-1906 and three Lugers in .45 caliber were tested in 1907. The Luger was rejected by the U.S. Army in favor of the Colt M1911 in 45 caliber.  […]   In 1905-1907 the Springfield Armory called in most of the M1900 Test Lugers; 770 were sold to Francis Bannerman and Co. at public auction(in about 1910). Reportedly, some of the Lugers did not survive the tests and were destroyed by the Army. The reported serial range for these 770 Lugers purchased by Bannerman are 6167-96, 6282, 6361-7108, and 7147. Kenyon, Costanzo, and Reese report a serial range of 6100 to 7100. In 1910 the Springfield Armory reported 321 Lugers in 7.65 mm repaired. In 1911 the Rock Island Arsenal reported 306 Lugers in 7.65 mm repaired (Scott Meadows, U.S. Military Automatic Pistols, 1993, page 386).  

As far as the American seal (i.e., “American Eagle Lugers”) DWM applied the seal as a marketing ploy, and not per the Ordnance Board’s/Army’s requests. DWM did the same with the Swiss cross. All AE Lugers, model 1900 and model 1906 wee so marked for the American market/to appeal to American buyers.

HTH

digi-shots

Thanks for posting.  After my original posting I did some further reading and saw the write up by Jan Still.  All along I thought the “American Eagle “ was part of the original run and not a later one.  Great info on his site.  I was searching for holsters especially made for the Luger and found some photos.  I don’t know if his photos are copyrighted or not so I didn’t post them (I did send him a note saying I’d like to use them)

I would still like to see some period photos of mounted troops in the Philippines with their Luger pistols!

• 8 months later...

HELLO,   A TRIAL WAS HELD WITH 5 LUGER PISTOLS IN cal. 7.65  BY TROOP  "D"   11th  CAV.  IN GERONA, TARLAC PROV.; P.I.

THE LUGERS WERE RECEIVED FOR TRIAL NOV. 23  1901.  THE REPORT WAS MADE BY THE CHIEF  ORDNANCE OFFICER, DIVISION OF THE PHILIPPINES , MANILA, P.I.     HE WAS OF THE OPINION THAT THE PISTOL SHOULD NOT BE ADOPTED FOR USE IN THE  U.S. CAV. NOR SHOULD IT BE CARRIED BY OFFICERS EXCEPT BY PERMISSION BY THEIR COMPANY AND SQUADRON COMMANDERS. SOME REASONS WERE;  GREAT DANGER OF ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE;   CALIBER TOO SMALL AND EXPOSURE TO THE ELEMENTS(water,dust, mud) WILL RENDER IT UN SERVICEABLE. I HOPE I AM NOT REPEATING WHAT YOU KNOW ALREADY.   BEST,   T BIRD

Very interesting! Thank you for posting that. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone finds a photo of this in use.

• 2 weeks later...