A Few Global War On Terror Uniform Groupings

bryang

Rakkasan187
45 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Truly an amazing collection.

What is the symbol on Hope’s beret ?

Hope is wearing an orange beret for the MFO.

Multi National Force and Observers.. Peacekeeping duties in the Sinai Peninsula.

Based on the photos it looks like Hope and other members of the101st are paying tribute at a memorial for the Soldiers who died in a plane crash in Gander, Newfoundland when they were returning to Ft Campbell after their 6-month tour of duty in the Sinai.  248 members of the 3/502nd Soldiers and a few ancillary members from CID and other units were on the plane when it crashed shortly after takeoff on December 12, 1985. 

My unit (3/187 infantry) was on the other side of the US in Alaska at the time of the crash and were scheduled to return to Ft Campbell a few days later. Upon returning to Ft Campbell many of us were detailed to funerals and casualty affairs for our lost Brothers and Sisters..

Leigh 

manayunkman
7 minutes ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Multi National Force and Observers.. Peacekeeping duties in the Sinai Peninsula.

Leigh 

Thank you that’s what I thought but the beret is maroon and that kind of threw me off 

4 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Based on the photos it looks like Hope and other members of the101st are paying tribute at a memorial for the Soldiers who died in a plane crash in Gander, Newfoundland when they were returning to Ft Campbell after their 6-month tour of duty in the Sinai.  248 members of the 3/502nd Soldiers and a few ancillary members from CID and other units were on the plane when it crashed shortly after takeoff on December 12, 1985. 

My unit (3/187 infantry) was on the other side of the US in Alaska at the time of the crash and were scheduled to return to Ft Campbell a few days later. Upon returning to Ft Campbell many of us were detailed to funerals and casualty affairs for our lost Brothers and Sisters..

Leigh 

After I obtained all these different uniforms, I was able to make contact with Colonel Hope, who is retired and in the Nashville area.  He lost a lot of his men when members of the 101st Airborne Division were returning to the U.S. from Sinai duty, on 12 December 1985.  He was aboard the first aircraft loaded with 101st Soldiers returning home.

Awesome collection!!!

Having some with pics of them being worn is always an amazing (and RARE) bonus. Very cool!

Rakkasan187

The darker colors of the orange beret when issued ultimately fades after being worn in the desert sun for 6 months and it turns more of a brownish/red color as seen on Colonel Hunt and is easily mistaken for a maroon beret, but there is no doubt that this is an orange beret, not maroon for Airborne personnel. 

Leigh