REM-UMC M1911

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I recently picked up this interesting Remington-UMC M1911 and wanted to see if I have it figured out right.  This is an "out of the woodwork" find and the family said it was carried during WWII.  The serial number dates this pistol to January of 1919, actually one of the very first pistols in January.  The pistol had been updated to M1911A1 specifications by changing out the main spring housing, grip safety & grips, I would assume for issue during WWII.  It looks that it could otherwise be all original REM-UMC, unless some other small parts have been changed out that I am not aware of.   There are no post war arsenal rebuild marks and the pistol still retains some off its original factory blued finish.  The magazine it came with looks commercial but I believe I read that the government did issue some of these mags in the late 1930's?  Any comments would be appreciated & thanks for checking it out!      

umc2.jpg

umc3.jpg

umc4.jpg

umc5.jpg

umc1.jpg

umc9.jpg

umc6.jpg

umc7.jpg

umc8.jpg

😁

Very nice 1911!

Great find! Did the family have any info on vet that may have carried it in WWII?

👍

Fixbayonets!

Thanks!  I am working on that.  I bought it through a friend of the family so I was not in direct contact.  

Very nice! You don’t see these very often.

I’m not quite up to speed on the stampings on all of the various .45 magazines.  I read that some commercial mags had the Colt pony and some did not.  Also, there’s a discussion on after market marked magazines as to whether or not there should be a decimal point before the “45” stamping. Yours looks to have a period or decimal point after the word “auto”.

Great looking .45 - thanks for posting.

Wowsers.  Edward Chapman inspected, so has to be 1918 or 1919.  Correct provisional Evans-inspected slide.  Looks to have the correct barrel in it too.  

Some small parts look replaced, which is not an issue.  Mainspring housing is post-1924, and I think it’s supposed to have a short milled trigger, versus the longer Colt style - but would need to go to reference on that.

Overall very rare pistol, congrats.

Fixbayonets!

Thanks again!  

digi-shots, you are correct.  There is no decimal point before the 45 and there is a decimal after the auto on the mag. 

Blacksmith, I thought the trigger looked correct for REM-UMC but I could be mistaken.  If you could confirm I certainly would appreciate that.

Reference is mixed on the trigger, with the majority citing the long version, so I suspect it’s correct.