40mm M81-A1 Question

Bodes

Forum members, I came across this information on the internet and am curious if anybody has seen or possesses a 40mm round with the "dip coating' type of finish on the windshield?....If so, would you post it?..Bodes

27. Cartridge. 40 Millimeter: AP-T, M81A1

a. General. This cartridge is used for firing against armored and similar targets. The hardened steel projectile is of the monobloc type; a tracer cavity in its base contains a red tracer composition which burns for about 12 seconds. The nose of the body proper is shaped to a relatively blunt ogive. However, a long false ogive is provided to impart optimum ballistic properties, by means of a lightweight windshield (ballistic cap) secured to the projectile body. The windshield is attached to the nose crimping groove by means of a 360-degree crimp. Certain lots of these cartridges having defective tracer elements have a vapor-trail-producing dipcoating compound applied to their windshields. The dipcoating compound will produce a vapor trail that begins immediately after the projectile leaves the muzzle of the gun and continues to be visible up to a range of 1,000 yards. Visiblility of the vapor trail is limited to daytime firing. Ammunition having this dipcoating is intended for use during the early stages of training only and is not intended for use in the final stages of training or in combat except in an emergency. This cartridge is also issued with a steel case.

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/31352-us-40mm-m81-ap-shot/

Kaptainssurplus

I have owned and sold many of these rounds over the years, I haven't noticed it before but I have never paid attention either because I didn't even know about this. So I will keep my eyes out now that I do and will let you know if I see any. Also I have noticed a dip coating on different size rounds windscreens, the reason I noticed those is that I recently received a large lot of cannon rounds and there were numerous loose windscreens included and when I was going through them, I noticed some had a different shade of color and they looked to be dipped because of the weird uneven coat, but I'm not sure that is the same as stated in that doc for the M81. Its just something I noticed recently with this lot. 

19 minutes ago, Kaptainssurplus said:

I have owned and sold many of these rounds over the years, I haven't noticed it before but I have never paid attention either because I didn't even know about this. So I will keep my eyes out now that I do and will let you know if I see any. Also I have noticed a dip coating on different size rounds windscreens, the reason I noticed those is that I recently received a large lot of cannon rounds and there were numerous loose windscreens included and when I was going through them, I noticed some had a different shade of color and they looked to be dipped because of the weird uneven coat, but I'm not sure that is the same as stated in that doc for the M81. Its just something I noticed recently with this lot. 

I didn't know about them either but found the post interesting....I picked up an M25 brass shell casing a number of years back and was lucky enough to find a loose M81-a1 head for it a few months back....The head is lacking any paint but appears to have what looks like remnants of shellac (or dried cosmoline?) on the windshield....So it got me thinking after reading the thread and was curious as to what they look like....Thank you, Bodes