"Amphibious" 8th Army cavalry Ike jacket

Sailorjerry45

Sailorjerry45

Good evening gentlemen,

This is another uniform I've been trying to do some digging on but I've had no luck finding any info this time. Its not named but this is another locally sourced uniform to a man of the 8th army who was present for action in the Phillipines and participated in at least one major invasion, I have been unable to find any information on cavalry units attached to the 8th army in the pacific, does anyone happen to have any information?

Thank you

20220610_145601.jpg.613decb63ac0fc08d7364ce6eba00722.jpg

There were no Cavalry units out there, not like in the MTO and ETO, these being the separate Cavalry Reconnaissance Groups and the Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons therein. The only Cavalry units in the PTO apart from the 1st Cavalry Division, which was in effect an Infantry Division, were the Infantry Divisional Reconnaissance Troops (Mecz), every division had one.

I would ask if there was once a Combat Patch on it.

Hmm, don't know, unless he was really in another unit, a Recon unit in one the divisions and was in Japan assigned to 8th Army right before going home, and just didn't wear a combat patch, or he was in a heretofore unknown Separate Provisional Recon unit, like a Troop, that was at Army level.

Sailorjerry45

Where did you find this one at? Good to know mine isn't just an anomaly! If you found it locally I can try and pinpoint who the laundry number belonged to based on where it came from.

Sailorjerry45
16 minutes ago, Paul70 said:

Here is a picture

7-14-09 004.jpg

Post the laundry number here or PM it to me and maybe we can identify this unit.

I bought this off ebay 20 years ago and have no idea where it came from. I was intrigued by the cavalry disk. I have in my notes it had three overseas bars at one time, but cut off. Just like yours! It was really cheap so I doubt it was messed with.  The laundry number is L-9792. This is off my notes as it is stored away at the moment.

Sailorjerry45

Well it looks like there's 43 people who would have held that laundry number so it'd be a trick to find the right one.

Sailorjerry45
3 minutes ago, Paul70 said:

If no independent Cav units were out there. Maybe it was an Recon platoon organic to the 8th Army HQ?

Thats what I've been trying to research but I've had absolutely no luck finding info on them, recon units in general seem to be hard to research.

It's finding the 8th Army Order of Battle for WWII that's the bitch, a good detailed OOB of it will list any and all army level troop units.

Sailorjerry45
29 minutes ago, patches said:

It's finding the 8th Army Order of Battle for WWII that's the bitch, a good detailed OOB of it will list any and all army level troop units.

I'll try and post a thread discussing them on a different part of the forum and see if anyone happens to have any information squirrelled away.

Sailorjerry45

Here is the link to the thread hopefully this is the correct area to post this kind of question and Paul hopefully you don't mind that I mentioned you in it as well!