Littlestown Foundry Grenade Lamps

FTLewisBrat

FTLewisBrat

Saw these at an antique store down the street today but didn't buy them.  L in a diamond, so fairly sure Littlestown Foundry.

Not sure how much value is lost with the missing components... any opinions on that or if i should I go back and pick them up? They seem WAY overpriced at 750 for the pair, there is a 10% discount for cash.

20220621_130613.jpg

20220621_130617.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

I saw these listed on eBay last month with the $750. BIN price. Agree, this is too much. Now seeing your close-up photos, I'm curious about the paint ring around the neck of the grenade. If the yellow ring is original, this could indicate the grenades black paint may be original as well. It would be interesting if there is yellow paint under the black paint?

Ask if you can take the lamps apart and see if the 9/16 threading is still intact at both ends. If the black paint is original, the ring at the neck is original yellow paint, and the 9/16 threading is there then the 4 grenades would be worth $400-$500.      

FTLewisBrat
6 minutes ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

I saw these listed on eBay last month with the $750. BIN price. Agree, this is too much. Now seeing your close-up photos, I'm curious about the paint ring around the neck of the grenade. If the yellow ring is original, this could indicate the grenades black paint may be original as well. It would be interesting if there is yellow paint under the black paint?

Ask if you can take the lamps apart and see if the 9/16 threading is still intact at both ends. If the black paint is original, the ring at the neck is original yellow paint, and the 9/16 threading is there then the 4 grenades would be worth $400-$500.      

I wish I had taken a picture of the bottom... I didn't look like it was going to be very easy to quickly take apart though.

Interesting that you saw them on ebay, I'll have to look for the listing.

FTLewisBrat
11 minutes ago, Dirt Detective said:

Interesting... the ones pictured in the eBay link are not the ones I saw today in Hagerstown MD.

The ones in the eBay link have a different (much cleaner) bottom than the ones I saw.  Also, the nut below the light socket on the ones I saw today have a definite "ribbed" pattern to them... in the ones on eBay that nut looks smooth.

Can't believe there's 2 almost identical sets.  Must be a factory made novelty item...?

I think it's the same set - if you look carefully at the nicks on the bases and the worn spots on the cords, they match up.  It does look like somebody may have switched out some of the lighting hardware though (which is very easy to do).

FTLewisBrat
1 hour ago, VMI88 said:

I think it's the same set - if you look carefully at the nicks on the bases and the worn spots on the cords, they match up.  It does look like somebody may have switched out some of the lighting hardware though (which is very easy to do).

Could be...  I asked the person on eBay if they had them displayed at the Hagerstown store.  They haven't answered yet.

FTLewisBrat
2 hours ago, VMI88 said:

I asked the person on eBay, it is the same set.