Help with original WWII VMO 6th Observation squadron patch on flight jacket

warguy

At a show this past weekend, I acquired a nice named AN-F-2 cotton flight jacket with a great squadron patch on the chest. The aviator who owned this jacket enlisted in 1944, and was a in the Marine Corps the remainder of WWII and well into Korea and the 1950’s. There are muster roll accounts of him flying with the 6th Observation Squadron but it is a little difficult to tell if he flew combat missions in WWII. The 6th VMO was first formed during the Banana War period in the 1930’s. It was disbanded but reformed in 1944, and flew many missions during the battle of Okinawa. I am not sure how long the squadron was active after WWII. Muster rolls indicate this flyer was in the 6th VMO as late as 1948.  My research online reveals that they used at least two different patches. The one shown here seems to be the rarer of the two, and the less prolific on the internet. I am looking for some help. Can someone tell me when this squadron used this patch design, perhaps when this design either replaced the other design or the other design replaced this one if that makes sense. Just trying to nail down the dates this jacket might have been used a bit more closely. Thanks in advance! Kevin

1DB0EF61-157C-4237-9388-2507155701BE.jpeg

Thanks yes, I saw that in the original listing from Griffin there were additional items. Too bad it was split up but the jacket is the star of the show. Maybe someday I can reunite the other items. Yes there is a tag inside. Here is a pic of that and the overall jacket. I concur this model of jacket was released in 1944. Any others out there that can weigh in on the history of thre patch? Thanks!

74AE6DBF-770C-409B-93CB-60053654E6FF.jpeg

5345276B-2FA7-4001-B894-8D93502FA899.jpeg

Hi Kevin, that patch was first made for the squadron in 1944.  That is the squadrons WW2 patch.  They saw service late in the war in 1945.  They also saw service in Korea and Vietnam, but their patch designs were different for both.  I am not sure the other patch that you are referring to, probably a design that they used during Korea.  - Jeff 

Jeff that is very helpful, and just what I was looking for. Thank you. Yes, I would bet the other patch is a later variant. When you google this squadron, this is the patch design you see on the site. 

DFF54ABA-60FD-447F-AC56-8589BD7F063A.jpeg

Hi Kevin, yes this is a later patch from the the Vietnam Era to the squadrons deactivation date in 1977.  If you give me a day or so, I will post the different VMO-6 variations that I have in my collection.  The only variation that I do not have is your early WW2 version on your summer flight jacket.  That is an awesome jacket and patch!  Semper Fi! - Jeff 

1 hour ago, CUBUSMC said:

Hi Kevin, yes this is a later patch from the the Vietnam Era to the squadrons deactivation date in 1977.  If you give me a day or so, I will post the different VMO-6 variations that I have in my collection.  The only variation that I do not have is your early WW2 version on your summer flight jacket.  That is an awesome jacket and patch!  Semper Fi! - Jeff 

Jeff thanks again! I would absolutely love to see your other patches, and look forward to your post. Kevin

OK, so your patch is the design attributed to VMO-6 during WW2.  These two are US made patches from the squadron during Korea.

IMG_5232.JPG

These were used by the squadron late 50's and early Vietnam era.  US made on the left and Japanese made version on the right.

IMG_5234.JPG

These last two patches are late Vietnam to mid 70's when the squadron was decommissioned.  Notice that the stretcher has been replaced with the missile.  Again, due to the introduction of the OV-10s and helo gunships during Vietnam.  The left is US made and the one on the right is Japanese made.  There are a few more patch versions that were used during the squadrons history, I just do not have those yet.  Hope you find these interesting.  Thanks and Semper Fi! - Jeff

IMG_5239.JPG

That is very interesting Jeff. I had no idea they had so many different designs. Thanks again for contributing some great information to my post!

3 hours ago, CUBUSMC said:

These last two patches are late Vietnam to mid 70's when the squadron was decommissioned.  Notice that the stretcher has been replaced with the missile.  Again, due to the introduction of the OV-10s and helo gunships during Vietnam.  The left is US made and the one on the right is Japanese made.  There are a few more patch versions that were used during the squadrons history, I just do not have those yet.  Hope you find these interesting.  Thanks and Semper Fi! - Jeff

IMG_5239.JPG