High Gloss Holster MP Leather equipment ?

doughboy

Hi,

I have a question on the High Gloss Leather equipment of MP units . Can someone of you tell me please when did the Military Police started using this "High Gloss" equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2020351368-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
Charlie Flick

Are there any markings on the holster other than the US on the flap?

Charlie

On the one that I have is no marking at all - no date and no manufacturer either. The pic. above is from the internet because I had some troubles to make a picture of the one that I have - malfunction on the camera - I'm working on the problem. Will post pics. in the next few days.

Hi,

Here are pics of the holsters that I have. As I already mentioned there is no date or manufacturer visible. The only marking is on the press dot fastener. The left one has an arrow marking and the right one bears the words " Zieh Hier" and I think this  is a German Made Holster.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

It’s not that “The military police” started using odd gear, it more like a time and place thing and unit or command purchased equipment. That holster looks like some of the “unique” items the Berlin Brigade used in the 1950-70s.  White laces, high gloss liners, fake leather pouches….all designed to impress and some designed to be easier to maintain.

There could well have been others that individually purchased such holsters to use on guard mount…if allowed by his command, cause they would not require polish to keep them shinned.  Many commands would not allow such though….uniformity for MPs was very important if they were to enforce the standard.

My bet on this one is unit specific, company size unit at least, time and place specific, most likely Cold War West Germany/ Berlin.

Hi Rhscott. I assumed that this high gloss gear was worn mostly overseas in Occupation area , but was not sure.Thank you very much for the good explanation , it is a great help for me. I'm looking for a good reference book of Military Police but could'nt find one . ( Looked at book stores , at Amazon ... nothing! ) Do you know a good refernce book about MP ? Thank you again for your help.

13 hours ago, doughboy said:

Hi Rhscott. I assumed that this high gloss gear was worn mostly overseas in Occupation area , but was not sure.Thank you very much for the good explanation , it is a great help for me. I'm looking for a good reference book of Military Police but could'nt find one . ( Looked at book stores , at Amazon ... nothing! ) Do you know a good refernce book about MP ? Thank you again for your help.

Not really. Never thought about one actually. I was a Customs MP in Italy in 1986-88 and wore the same type of equipment I did at Bragg with the 82nd MP Co except the brassards were locally made in Genova.  I was assigned to SETAF not USAEUR. 

Charlie Flick
16 hours ago, doughboy said:

I'm looking for a good reference book of Military Police but couldn't find one . .. Do you know a good reference book about MP ? 

Hello Doughboy:

I can't help with a book about Military Police but there is an excellent book out on the USAF Air Police and Security Police.  It is called Sky-Cops & Peacekeepers by Chris Armold, a former AP.  It is 465 pages, was published in 2016 and is packed with info and pics on the uniforms, equipment and history of the Air Police.   I have a copy and have found it most useful.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

Sky-cops book.JPG

Charlie Flick

Hello Doughboy:

I agree with your suggestion that your holsters are German in origin.  They are not US Government Issue but may well be items that were purchased at the unit level for ceremonial use, as has also been suggested.

They are quite similar to the black, patent leather M1916 style holsters that were made in the 1950-60s by Service Manufacturing Co. of Yonkers, NY.  The chief difference is the small swivel device on the hanger that displays the Service logo.  Service made a lot of equipment for law enforcement agencies.  The pics below are taken from a listing on ebay and show an example of the Service M1916.  It was not USGI either but they pop up for sale from time to time baffling collectors.

The first holster you posted about with the US on the flap is a modern reproduction and is not USGI either.

Regards,

Charlie

Service Mfg Co M1916 patent leather holster.JPG

Service Mfg Co M1916 back side.JPG

Hi Doughboy

Parent leather gear wasn’t uncommon, in my time in Germany (in the '70's) were a few folks that opted for it where everything was patent leather, it was totally private purchase.  There was also another product at the time that could be painted on the leather to give it that patent leather look however, I don't recall what the name of it was.  

Ed

Hi Mr. Ed,

Thank you for your response - this is also a good info to know. Could it have been a high gloss leather dye ?

On 8/1/2022 at 8:51 PM, Mr Ed said:

Hi Doughboy

Parent leather gear wasn’t uncommon, in my time in Germany (in the '70's) were a few folks that opted for it where everything was patent leather, it was totally private purchase.  There was also another product at the time that could be painted on the leather to give it that patent leather look however, I don't recall what the name of it was.  

Ed

I remember that stuff.  Some guys used it on boots and after a few months they looked like crap…..cracked..

The paint-on stuff didn't last long, especially on the toes of jump boots.  I always preferred the regular issue items over patent leather gear.