Civil War Cannon Ball?

Brian Keith

I'm not real familiar with these, but It does look like that may be an intact fuze. Can you measure the diameter of it? Can you tell what the other metal is? Is it brass? Lead? It is not a shot put or cast iron ball used for crushing stone or other materials with that interesting duel pierced insert.  Standard warning, I wouldn't use it as a campfire ring stone, it is possible it contains the powder charge.

BKW

dhcoleterracina

Looks like a 12 pounder to me. As said, assume it's live and should be disarmed by someone with knowledge. 

Cannon balls were made of cast iron, which would make them quite heavy....There should be a sprue which indicates where the molten was poured into the mold, and seam(s) that indicate the individual sections (of the mold)....Bodes

This is unfortunately not a civil war cannonball. This is a shot put that has adjustable weight by removing the two hole cover. A fused cannonball would have a bormann, paper time fuse adapter, or a water cap if it were a larger naval shell. 

Looks interesting.. whatever it is.  I have 2.. one from Rev War and the other from a 1700’s Spanish Galleon - neither one are fused.

Here’s some fuses and photos:

DD47A4D5-D590-4261-B76B-A2810ABE8138.jpeg

4EB96866-5033-4383-A44D-6F8A03A1C8D7.jpeg

5A902F0B-7126-4098-A30B-61D6F5B49B89.jpeg

9887F0F0-98BE-4AB6-B814-17D5C8257A8E.jpeg

239ED4FC-6B14-42DF-A1A7-84BF7157E914.jpeg

D0732FAD-1323-4E85-A6AE-CADAB3EFAA99.jpeg

This blue one is a shot put from Walmart

79C39B95-8694-4423-B93D-B52E1012CF8D.jpeg

On 6/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, NKina91 said:

This is unfortunately not a civil war cannonball. This is a shot put that has adjustable weight by removing the two hole cover. A fused cannonball would have a bormann, paper time fuse adapter, or a water cap if it were a larger naval shell. 

I agree.

On 6/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, NKina91 said:

I would assume this is another shot put.....Bodes

Cannon Ball

11 hours ago, Bodes said:

I would assume this is another shot put.....Bodes

Cannon Ball

Indeed it is a shot put as well. Another giveaway on that one is the weight is marked on the outside which was not done on cannonballs. Shot puts have tricked many people over the years.