Purple Heart Question

frank2far

Hello,

Would some be kind enough to to let me know what era and type of PH this may be, and the value?

Thank you in advance

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

5 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

You might still have time to edit the title.

Thank you! Need more coffee.

I think it was earlier than that. I think the 500,000 made for the invasion of Japan were all this type. Made before the War ended.

26 minutes ago, Ivydiv said:

I think it was earlier than that. I think the 500,000 made for the invasion of Japan were all this type. Made before the War ended.

Thanks. What is the approximate value?

Just the medal without the box, ribbon, cloth swatch, and lapel pin would be somewhere around $75. If it is numbered on the edge of the medal. add about $20

7 minutes ago, Ivydiv said:

Just the medal without the box, ribbon, cloth swatch, and lapel pin would be somewhere around $75. If it is numbered on the edge of the medal. add about $20

Thank you

I have to heartily disagree with the valuation on this medal. The medal is a late WWII manufactured medal, but you can buy these all day long in the $50 range. Cases, ribbon bars and lapel pins greatly add to the value. At this point, a medal in the case with the RB and LP will usually get you $100, provided it is all in good condition. Medals with the rim numbers will definitely bump up the value, but the exact value will be dictated by the manufacturer and the variations that you see. Early enameled hearts will bring more than these with the plastic insert. The painted copper inserts are also desirable.

Allan