Spink & Son ribbon bar?

manayunkman

Saw this mounting style on a few British ribbon sets. So indeed Spink and Sons is a good candidate.

The 2 stars attached to both ribbons are 100 % Dutch.

Regards

Herman 

manayunkman

Thank you Herman and it didn’t occur to me the stars are Dutch, I love that.

When I googled Spink & Son I couldn’t find anything about a service to mount medals or ribbon bars, do you know anything about that?

Please check the British section on the gmic forum. You will find some examples there.

Regards 

Herman 

manayunkman

It belonged to Lt. Commander James Risk.

This ribbon bar was made after the Queen of England awarded him with the Royal Victorian order which he wears first before his US medals in extreme pride for being the only American to have received the order.

I assume the Queen gave him the award for the work he did, over several years,  for finding the hidden British Royal Orders and Decorations, identifying, cataloging, repairing and displaying them.

He was also a medal collector and had already written several books, including  one on the subject of British Royal Orders.

He was the US Navy liaison between the Vatican and the Throne after the Fascists were forced out during WW2 and was involved in the Italian election of 1946.

The second ribbon on the bar is the Order Of St John another award he was very proud of since it took some important reconciliation on his part to be considered a recipient.

• 1 month later...
Javelin4life

Given the meticulous attention to detail that Spink applies to their craftsmanship, I’m somewhat doubtful this is one of their products.  The bar is undoubtedly foreign, but it’s possible this could be either an AJ Baldwins or more likely a standard theatre made bar by a British tailor in the occupied/controlled area.