Help with Artillery Shells/Cartridge Identification

utica3

I purchased some artillery shells/cartridges this weekend and would like some assistance in identifying them, I believe one is a Hotchkiss 37 mm WW1 round but would like confirmation. One is a WWII round but I do not know what type, The others I have no idea.

The first is marked on the bottom of the casing 37-85 PDPs 282 9-16 and flaming bomb. I believe 37 means 37 mm, and 9-16 (September 1916). There are numbers and what I think is a anchor on the tip. I think this is a 37 mm naval Hotchkiss round. Is it American?

The second is a WWII round but I have no idea what type of round. It has the following markings on the bottom of the casing: 1943, B CO, 10MK1, 95 and a lot #. Around the primer it has the following MK 19 MOD 2 42 SOC 134, It has the following on the projectile 1".10AA MARK1 MOD10 LOT 691-37.  Total length is 12 and 1/16 inch.

The third one has a black casing and sliver and copper projectile. It has no markings. Total length is 15 3/4 inches. The projectile does not come out of the casing. 5 inch diameter projectile. It is heavy and casing feels very thick or heavy duty.

The fourth one has no markings. it has brass casing and silver cooper banded projectile. Total length is 6 and 6/8 inch.

The last is just a silver projectile. total length is 3 1/4 inch

Thanks for any feedback.

37 mm.jpg

37mm 1.jpg

37 mm 2.jpg

37 mm 3.jpg

37 mm 4.jpg

37 mm 5.jpg

mark.jpg

mark 1.jpg

mark 4.jpg

mark 2.jpg

mark 3.jpg

black shell.jpg

black shell 1.jpg

black shell 2.jpg

small shell 1.jpg

small shell.jpg

shells.jpg

shells 1.jpg

Two thoughts- the 40mm Bofors does not appear to have the correct projectile, the driving bands and shape is non standard, at least not US issue. The 1.1” is considered rare. Hard to find.

Hello 917601,

Thanks for the additional information.  The casing is painted black. I remove the paint from the casing base and the following marking is present 40 MM MK 3 1-45 CL PV and what looks like small anchor. I don't think the casing is brass. It is very thick and heavy. My magnetized screw driver is attracted to the casing. Did they make steal casings?

On 6/17/2022 at 5:52 AM, utica3 said:

Hello 917601,

Thanks for the additional information.  The casing is painted black. I remove the paint from the casing base and the following marking is present 40 MM MK 3 1-45 CL PV and what looks like small anchor. I don't think the casing is brass. It is very thick and heavy. My magnetized screw driver is attracted to the casing. Did they make steal casings?

Yes, late war , 40mm Bofors casings switched to steel late WW2. That era they were lacquered steel, a dark brownish color. Todays C130 Gunship 40 mm Bofors are phosphate washed steel, silver grayish.