Dewey Canyon Marine Impression 1969

USMC_COLLECTOR

USMC_COLLECTOR

This is my vietnam war Dewey canyon marine impression.

Leave comments, critiques, or other USMC impressions.

Thanks,

Enjoy

Dewey 5.jpg

Dewey 4.jpg

Dewey 3.jpg

Dewey 2.jpg

Dewey.jpg

I personally think it looks awesome.  

It’s very nice to see enthusiasts paying respect to men and women of this conflict.

And way to “keep your booger-hook out of the trigger guard”, as we used to say - just NEVER lay your weapon on the ground…. 😝

I also like how much attention you paid to wear-matching everything on the web belt.  Were the M56s used interchangeably with the standard M16 pouches?  

What watch are wearing to complement your impression?

Again, nice job!

Your local M1 Garand

This looks great! Nothing really wrong about the impression. I have also seen marines in Dewey canyon but with m1910 canteen covers but by this time in the war you would see m1956 covers being issued to marines as well. Great job!

Looking good!

When you get a chance check out this article that appeared in a USMC “Fortitudine” publication.  Great write up with some good photos.

www.marines.mil   (Dewey Canyon 30 years later) - Fortitudine, vol. XXVlll, Number 2, 1999

USMC_COLLECTOR

Thanks a lot for the reply!

By this time, the M61 Gear was starting to fall out of favor, making way for the M56 gear to take it's place.

It is an older model Timex watch with the stretchy band. I've seen some personal watches like this in use in some photos so I left it on.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

I personally think it looks awesome.  

It’s very nice to see enthusiasts paying respect to men and women of this conflict.

And way to “keep your booger-hook out of the trigger guard”, as we used to say - just NEVER lay your weapon on the ground…. 😝

I also like how much attention you paid to wear-matching everything on the web belt.  Were the M56s used interchangeably with the standard M16 pouches?  

What watch are wearing to complement your impression?

Again, nice job!

USMC_COLLECTOR

Thanks for the reply. You are spot on!

1 hour ago, Your local M1 Garand said:

This looks great! Nothing really wrong about the impression. I have also seen marines in Dewey canyon but with m1910 canteen covers but by this time in the war you would see m1956 covers being issued to marines as well. Great job!

USMC_COLLECTOR

Thanks a lot!

31 minutes ago, digi-shots said:

Looking good!

When you get a chance check out this article that appeared in a USMC “Fortitudine” publication.  Great write up with some good photos.

www.marines.mil   (Dewey Canyon 30 years later) - Fortitudine, vol. XXVlll, Number 2, 1999

Here’s a set of cammies that belonged to Elliott “Sonny” Laine, Commanding Officer, 3rd Battalion, Ninth Marines, 3rd Mar Div. 
While serving as a Lt. Col., Sonny was awarded the Silver Star Medal for actions during Operation Dewey Canyon.

907E93BE-2732-45AA-A184-F8AF20D0B9B1.jpeg

0EA3DAD4-DD0D-4501-84AC-AC2C1996304C.jpeg

63733513-FB17-4099-A4CF-87626BBE3E15.jpeg

USMC_COLLECTOR

Wow. Beautiful. The hat finalized my impression!

4 hours ago, digi-shots said:

Here’s a set of cammies that belonged to Elliott “Sonny” Laine, Commanding Officer, 3rd Battalion, Ninth Marines, 3rd Mar Div. 
While serving as a Lt. Col., Sonny was awarded the Silver Star Medal for actions during Operation Dewey Canyon.

907E93BE-2732-45AA-A184-F8AF20D0B9B1.jpeg

0EA3DAD4-DD0D-4501-84AC-AC2C1996304C.jpeg

63733513-FB17-4099-A4CF-87626BBE3E15.jpeg

My only thought on the impression is that the jungle boots look way too good for the rest of the set up. Scuff the toes and wear the OD uppers down a bit any you are golden.

Allan

25 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

My only thought on the impression is that the jungle boots look way too good for the rest of the set up. Scuff the toes and wear the OD uppers down a bit any you are golden.

Allan

Or buy a beat up pair of jungle boots off of Craigslist / Facebook marketplace and save the good ones for display (hey, just like being back in Basic!)

USMC_COLLECTOR

Ok. Boots haven’t had their field test yet.

4 hours ago, Allan H. said:

Allan

3 hours ago, Story said:

Or buy a beat up pair of jungle boots off of Craigslist / Facebook marketplace and save the good ones for display (hey, just like being back in Basic!)

• 3 weeks later...
Vanderbilt
On 6/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, Allan H. said:

Allan

.....in the FWIW categorey. From my CW days, guys wanted that worn out, lived in field look. Many never washed or took care of their clothes. My issue was and still is, I was my own QM and Supply. My pockets weren't deep enough to have to replace clothes and gear that often. Others mileage may vary......

USMC_COLLECTOR

Yes thanks for the advice. These have been in the closet since I got them. Haven't had time to wear them in yet.

• 1 month later...
Chest Rockwell

It looks like your trousers are the post war RDF type. The green dominant “Lowland” ERDL pants were the order of the day for the late war Marine, with Brown dominant being pretty rare to see in general. Also, while you do start seeing more M56 gear, the ammo pouches aren’t nearly as common and most Marines opted to carry their ammo in bandoleers. There was a trend amongst the grunts to move away from web gear, both in the Marines and the Army by ‘69-‘70 timeframe. As a side note, M1961 gear was still standard issue to Marines until the end of war, M56 gear never supplanted it. Aside from a few small changes I think this is a solid impression! Also to add a little flavor, you could rock an OG top and ERDL trousers. You can see that combo a lot in pictures of the operation since ERDL fatigues were still filtering through the supply chain. Another cool anecdote is that after Dewey Canyon, you start to see a lot of grunts in the 9th Marine Regiment using SKS chest rigs, presumably picked up from supply caches during Dewey Canyon. 

USMC_COLLECTOR

Ok! Awesome! Luckily my pants are 70 dated brown dom instead of the RDF pattern, but green dom is what I need to get as well.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It looks like your trousers are the post war RDF type. The green dominant “Lowland” ERDL pants were the order of the day for the late war Marine, with Brown dominant being pretty rare to see in general. Also, while you do start seeing more M56 gear, the ammo pouches aren’t nearly as common and most Marines opted to carry their ammo in bandoleers. There was a trend amongst the grunts to move away from web gear, both in the Marines and the Army by ‘69-‘70 timeframe. As a side note, M1961 gear was still standard issue to Marines until the end of war, M56 gear never supplanted it. Aside from a few small changes I think this is a solid impression! Also to add a little flavor, you could rock an OG top and ERDL trousers. You can see that combo a lot in pictures of the operation since ERDL fatigues were still filtering through the supply chain. Another cool anecdote is that after Dewey Canyon, you start to see a lot of grunts in the 9th Marine Regiment using SKS chest rigs, presumably picked up from supply caches during Dewey Canyon. 

Chest Rockwell
12 minutes ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Ok! Awesome! Luckily my pants are 70 dated brown dom instead of the RDF pattern, but green dom is what I need to get as well.

Is the blouse brown dominant as well? I can’t tell but I meant to say that the green dominant set, both blouse and trousers, were the order of the day. Also I would adjust your helmet. It’s sitting pretty high on your head. Apologies, I feel like I’m throwing a lot of criticism at you, but your impression truly is strong. The adjustments that you need to make are very minor and I think after that you’ll have a stellar impression. I reenact late war Marines as well so I’ve researched this subject pretty heavily, but even then, I’m always trying to make improvement’s, since there’s always room for that. Looking forward to seeing more impressions! 

USMC_COLLECTOR

The blouse might be a faded green dom or a brown dom, unsure. I could adjust my helmet, but I do like it higher than lower since I occasionally will wear glasses.

No problem with the tweaks thanks for the responses.

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Is the blouse brown dominant as well? I can’t tell but I meant to say that the green dominant set, both blouse and trousers, were the order of the day. Also I would adjust your helmet. It’s sitting pretty high on your head. Apologies, I feel like I’m throwing a lot of criticism at you, but your impression truly is strong. The adjustments that you need to make are very minor and I think after that you’ll have a stellar impression. I reenact late war Marines as well so I’ve researched this subject pretty heavily, but even then, I’m always trying to make improvement’s, since there’s always room for that. Looking forward to seeing more impressions! 

• 1 month later...
USMC_COLLECTOR

On another note to revive this topic, it turns out that the Ega on my cap is a WWII Australian made ega… So that’s pretty great.