Civil War Uniform Modified?

Hello

What are your thoughts on this Uniform

* It looks like a Marine tunic because of the colors?

* The buttons look CW period or at least Indian war?

* No markings anywhere

* I read where there was a lot of surplus and many uniforms were modified ?

Thank you

Tony

cu1.jpg

IMG_20220612_090802-1200.jpg

IMG_20220612_090832-1200.jpg

IMG_20220612_090524-1200.jpg

cu2.jpg

cu3.jpg

cu4.jpg

IMG_20220612_091305-1200.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Not 100% what it is, but the construction is post Civil War as are the rimeless eagle buttons. Educated guess... U.S. state militia or guard artillery. Very nice!

I'm by no means an expert in this field.  This looks like an 1880s federal style artillery jacket. I dont recall the specific model yesr  designation for the jacket.  

I tend to agree that this is a modified (different buttons) 1904 USMC tunic.  

Update: found a thread on the dress uniform. 

1904 USMC enlisted dress coat with its buttons replaced with the 1885 army enlisted buttons. Probably done a costume shop or theater, or a collector / reenactor. 

15 hours ago, bosshark said:

M1885 Artillery dress coatP1250096.JPG.1710e9245bdd8b188cc22decbeb586c1.JPG

Bossshark, very nice! Are you saying that you think that the OP's coat is a Pattern 1885 artillery coat or just showing an example of a very similar coat?

55 minutes ago, bosshark said:

Hi, With those buttons on coat 1885 to 1902 dress coat for enlisted US artillery

Thanks Bossshark.  The reason that I think the OP's coat is the 1904 USMC dress is the eight button front as opposed to the Army's 1885 nine button front and the facings on the tail of the coat are different. 

342970823_s-l1600(2).jpg.417196ef9e67072722cbdd655f88056e.jpg

illinigander

Who would believe?  An old Chicago costume shop, about a MONTH ago sold its collection.  There were about 8-10 enlisted CW cavalry & artillery shell jackets, that had been somewhat modified, but many still had makers or inspection marks (CW era)  I passed on an artillery one for $700.  Wonder if it was one of these.

illinigander 

12 hours ago, illinigander said:

Who would believe?  An old Chicago costume shop, about a MONTH ago sold its collection.  There were about 8-10 enlisted CW cavalry & artillery shell jackets, that had been somewhat modified, but many still had makers or inspection marks (CW era)  I passed on an artillery one for $700.  Wonder if it was one of these.

illinigander 

Not to hijack this thread, but was this shop on the northside near Rogers Park? I think it was on Howard.

illinigander

Oh Purdue- I do not know where it was located, I found out about it from an IL collector friend, whose downstate friend's brother-in-law knew about the place, but was not a collector so...  I think I got an eagle-button Mills belt, but have to go down to retrieve it.  It is time to visit the farm anyway.

Illinigander

On 6/15/2022 at 7:02 AM, BEAST said:

Thanks Bossshark.  The reason that I think the OP's coat is the 1904 USMC dress is the eight button front as opposed to the Army's 1885 nine button front and the facings on the tail of the coat are different. 

342970823_s-l1600(2).jpg.417196ef9e67072722cbdd655f88056e.jpg

Absolutely correct. The USMC may look superficially like an Army arillery coat but the differences are very obvious, different number of buttons, very different epaulets & tail flashes, different collar. The OP has a USMC coat someone added 1885 eagles to. It'd be a nice candidate for getting MC buttons back.