M1 garand questions

Elliott R

Ok so I’m thinking about buying an M1 garand sometime in the future and have some questions: why does a cmp go for more than a non rebuild? Is it because the rebuilds are more reliable? My main question is what should I do when shooting, cleaning, and displaying the gun to not damage it, because from what I hear, the can break more easily than the 1903

dunmore1774

Not sure what you mean by "non rebuild", but it seems the CMP sells Garands cheaper than what I see at gun shows-- that's for arsenal rebuilds that are not "correct".  Corrected guns go much higher.  CMP weapons do seem to have a certain level of collectability (more so for DCM)-perhaps due to professional workmanship, or direct ownership from the government, and of course no import marks. 

Garands have more going on mechanically than bolt action rifles, but with proper care, I don't think they are more fragile.  Proper cleaning, oiling and using proper ammo would be the basics. 

I'm the sure the Garand and firearms experts out there would have more to say. 

It is a very rare M1 that is not a rebuild of some kind.  “Almost” all M1s were at least gaged and some worn parts replaced.  CMP offers a rifle that has a known value in that you know where it came from and the parts it contains had met a baseline of serviceable.  Some rifles out there have had parts replaced regardless to how do they work in the quest for “correct parts” to a time a OCD owner set.. in other words some just swap parts just to make what they think is a correct looking rifle rather than one the might work better.

”because from what I hear, the can break more easily than the 1903”?????? What?  These are true war rifles of walnut and steel.  Short of bashing one against a sidewalk until it breaks your shooting and letting one sit in a corner is going to be the easy retired life for a M1.  That a M1 is more “fragile” than a 03 is highly debatable.

my advice would be get quality over quantity - get the best garand you can afford - later down the road, that M1 will be worth money then just buying

one to have one.  good luck in your search and get a garand book and do your homewrok    

Persian Gulf Command

My advice, if you want a collectable M1 Garand, is to find one where the Receiver Serial Number correlates to the Date of Manufacture for the Barrel. All the other parts can be kept or replaced depending on what you are looking for, a shooter or a wall hanger. The most difficult parts will be an authentic period stock, front and rear handguards, depending on the period (date) you are wishing to obtain. Gun Broker .com is often a good source for matched receiver and barrels. Not sure if CMP sells these?

Here is a site about Born on Dates for M1 Garands:

https://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

The only thing I don’t like about the cmp ones is the new stock that makes it look new. I would rather have an authentic ww2 stock 

11 hours ago, Elliott R said:

Ok so I’m thinking about buying an M1 garand sometime in the future and have some questions: why does a cmp go for more than a non rebuild? Is it because the rebuilds are more reliable? My main question is what should I do when shooting, cleaning, and displaying the gun to not damage it, because from what I hear, the can break more easily than the 1903

Sign up here, get mentored by your neighbors and join them on the range with the Garand you pick.

Texas State Rifle Association - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

18 minutes ago, Elliott R said:

The only thing I don’t like about the cmp ones is the new stock that makes it look new. I would rather have an authentic ww2 stock 

You can find used stocks for cheap money, they'll usually lack all the stamps that make the collectors drool.

I had at one time a all correct 1943 Springfield w/dipped heal. All I have now is a 1954 collector grade Springfield. Quality over quantity

• 3 weeks later...

Elliott,

I could all come down to, do you want a Shooter or a Safe Queen?

You can't go wrong with a CMP.

I like how you have gotten your 03 and now moving on the Garand!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Ha, yeah. My grandfather has all kinds of guns like M1 carbines (one of which is an actual paratrooper one), an M1 garand, an M2 carbine, and some others. I liked the m1 garand a lot so now I want one.