Distinguished Service Cross #1840

T72B

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information? I have just purchased a DSC that is numbered 1840, and would like to know if it is taceable? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Trev.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Capture.JPG

That numbering looks other than I would expect.  May just be the photo angle / lighting.  Will be interested to hear other opinions.

And the brooch appears to be from a WW1 Victory Medal.  The locking catch on  a WW1 DSC should be more “ball shaped” 

Thanks for the comments. I've just started collecting US medals and things aren't looking good so far. I appreciate the replies.

I agree with the comment above about the numbering. That said, 1840 was awarded to CPL Julius A. Piazzani, Co F, 310th Infantry, 78th Division. He was from North Bergen, NJ. 

Also the suspension ring is wrong for a medal in that number rang. It should be a solid ring that is soldered , and should be smaller.

Kurt

The brooch, and ring appear to be from a WW2 Medallic Arts contract medal. Hard to tell, but the ribbon looks like a Robbins WW2 piece. These were numbered from about 13,000 to 23,000. There are also unnumbered Medallic Arts medals, probably produced after numbering requirements were eliminated.

Mike

Thanks again for all the information. If anyone knows where I could get a good DSC, please let me know.

20 minutes ago, T72B said:

Thanks again for all the information. If anyone knows where I could get a good DSC, please let me know.

They aren't tough to find. It depends on if you're looking for a wrapped brooch or a slot brooch. I've seen several Robbins made, black brooch style for sale on some dealer sites recently. It shouldn't be long until you find one.