German M40 Helmet- Vet Bring Back

corpsman5

This Helmet was brought home by my Great Uncle.  I wish I knew more about his military service, but sadly, I don't.  The helmet is a Model 40 Double-Decal Field Police, which was the combat leg of the Nazi Military Police.  They typically served with SS units, but not always.  Until the late 1980's, the helmet was being used as a flowerpot on their farm in Southeast Tennessee.  Considering this, and the fact that we played with it so much as children, other than the liner, it is in amazing condition. The story I heard about this helmet, is that he retrieved it from a burning tank.  Whatever the case may be, I'm very glad to be the caretaker for this piece of family history.

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

USCapturephotos
15 hours ago, sundance said:

Great helmet. Is that your reactor room in the background?

Haha I saw that too.

Brian Keith

Actually, that helmet is in remarkable condition considering it's post war history. Really great decals! I would suspect the "story" about being retrieved from a "burning" tank, not too likely. Most GI's with any amount of sense, would stay well away from an actively burning tank, they would be well aware of secondary explosions of the ammunition. I do have a Luftwaffe belt buckle that shows the effects of being burned that the US veteran I got it from said he found it in a "burned out" German tank. 

Great helmet, thanks for showing it.

BKW