Jump to content

WWI KY 3rd ID WIA PH belonging to Pvt Miskell


Recommended Posts

Pvt. Robert Jesse Miksell 
Bugler, 8th MG Bn, 3rd Infantry Division
WIA Oct. 4, 1918

This Purple Heart is named to a Kentucky native, Robert Jesse Miksell, who fought with the 3rd Infantry Division during World War I. Miksell was born in Bedford, KY on October 25, 1899. His family, soon moved to Indiana, near the Fort Wayne area. With war waging in Europe, Miksell enlisted in the US Army on March 20, 1917 at Fort Thomas, KY. Miskell was first assigned to the C Co. 4th Infantry as a bugler. Eventually, he was transferred to A Co. of the 8th Machine Gun Battalion. This is the unit where he spent the majority of his time with, while in France.  He fought with the 8th MG Bn throughout the Marne, where the 3rd Division earned their nickname, “Rock of the Marne.” 

After seeing a good amount of combat with the 8th MG Bn, he then was transferred to the 4th Infantry again, but fell into A Co. this time. Miskell fought with the 4th Infantry during the Muese-Argonne Offensive, which began on September 30, 1918. The US divisions started the offensive strong, but quickly, the Germans called for reinforcements to be sent to the Argonne Forest region. On October 4th, the Germans started pushing back, in great strength, and were able to push back the American attack. The 3rd Division was positioned outside the town of Montfaucon. This is where Miskell would ultimately be wounded. He was originally listed as MIA for a few days. Eventually, he was accounted for and listed as WIA. At first, the degree of the wound was underdetermined. After further research, I was able to find his WWII registration card. On the card, it was noted that Miskell had “gun shot wounds in left hip.”

About a month after being wounded, the war came to an end. For the remainder of the war and after the conclusion of the war, Miskell assumed his position as bugler for C Co. 4th Infantry. He traveled home with the unit, and caught a ride back on the SS Leviathan. He was honorably discharged on September 21, 1919. After his time in the service, he became active in his local veteran organization, as a bugler. He also worked for the railroad for quite some time, until his death. Tragically, he was killed in a railroad accident, on July 1, 1946. 

I’ve included photographs that were taken around the Argonne Forest and Montfaucon areas. I’ve also included photographs of a couple of machine gun teams. The pictures were taken from online sources.44014344-A8EE-4178-82B9-79EC6D5A1092.jpeg.2d0f9f45a4363a967800a8d6b7bcfe3b.jpeg









Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...