A-3 AAF Trousers

Gately

I Just purchased a pair of AAF A-3 trousers at a fair price for the condition they were in. Over time the zippers have a green oxidation on the teeth. It almost seems par for the course with these puppies from what I heard. Anyhow I found that a mixture  of white vinegar and diluted brasso  using a toothbrush work fairly well. Then washed away the solution with a water squirt bottle  dried with hair dryer and  zippers zipped ok. They won’t unzip but ready for display.

In addition to my A-3  I finally  purchased a  display torso for my B-3 .  It was to delicate keeping it 49375B00-B2EE-4458-A3E5-485D99CD30A9.jpeg.8083bd3569bfe04ee77dec4839eec634.jpegon a hanger putting unwanted stress on the shoulders.

Thanks it was very difficult collecting the high altitude flight gear. Lots of searching over years. I lucked out with the B-3 in that only the original zipper had to be replaced. The previous owner had replaced the original broken zipper with a plastic green colored one. It’s obvious he was wearing it before selling it.  As for the B-6 I purchased it came  only with the open ear mic cups. I installed  the original correct  receivers .  As for the  A-10 oxygen mask I installed the voice mic along with the push to talk box 141.  My concern is what can be done to keep the A-10 masks rubber from stiffness and cracking? Anyone out there have any ideas?  

It’s still supple to the touch but I have seen others get crystallized and cracks especially around the hose .  I keep mine away from light so hopefully it won’t deteriorate over time. All rubber in time chemically breaks down . Would keeping it in a display box away from air help? Please reply. 

I thought that one was funny considering the way SNL has gone for the past 20yrs or so.

Gately, Welcome, BTW. Do you have more AAF stuff to show?

Nice to have another WWII flight gear collector on board!

Dave

• 9 months later...

Thanks yes I do. I really am into the high altitude fleece leather gear . The drawback however is unlike the later issued alpaca cloth gear the leather sheepskin gear tends to be so fragile 80 years later. Once I buy it I treat the brown leather to soften it somewhat. Then display it permanently. 

There is a lot of debate on treating leather with anything. Though many have "neutral pH" and similar claims, in the end it is pretty much agreed that doing nothing is what will make something last the longest.

I, also, have the inclination to do at least something to give a perceived boost to the life of leather.

The struggle is real!

Dave

• 4 months later...

It’s completely up to the individual . Yes I have heard both sides on treating  or leave be. I personally try to keep further dry rot by treating once a year. I at one time owned a pair of A-3 years ago that I purchased in a swap meet. They were so cracked and dry I couldn’t even fold them without causing more damage. Ever since I have used a leather treatment  to all my leather gear. It does relax the dried out leather . It will never bring back the life of the skin but it’s just my thing.