Why is it called a "Kelly" helmet?

Maple Creek

gearhead1968

The M1917A had a redesigned liner and a new webbing chinstrap approved for service in 1934. This model went into full production in 1941. I think this is the only difference from the M1917. 

gearhead1968

I really have no idea why they were named "Kelley". I can't really find anything that says who or why. 

No idea.  But it makes me wonder if the term "Kelley" helmet was a period term for the helmet?   Or is it a collector generated term (like "Normandy camo") used to describe and discuss M1917A1's that had it's genesis well after the war?  

Although the origin is unclear, the name wasn't just applied to the m1917a1.  I've read a few WWI unit histories that refer to the m1917 as a "tin Kelly".

Why it's come to be associated almost exclusively with the m1917a1 is also unclear, though it's interesting to note that the Director of the Infantry School's Department of Experiment, where the bulk of interwar helmet evaluation took place, was Lt. Col. R.H. Kelley.

phantomfixer

kelly

[ kel-ee ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for kelly on Thesaurus.com

🍎 Elementary Level

noun, plural kel·lies, kel·lys.Slang.

a man's stiff hat, as a derby or straw skimmer.

Maybe it is called a "Kelly" helmet because it is named after "Machine Gun Kelly"  born 1895. His nickname came from his favorite weapon, a Thompson machine gun. Also, in many gangster movies he was often wearing a stiff hat. 

Maple Creek

It's interesting that there are various theories, but no definitive explanation. I've been collecting for a long time, so I felt this is something I should know. I was almost embarrassed to ask, but it's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who is in the dark on this question.

I think Phantomfixer might be on to something. As he pointed out, a definition of a "kelly" is "a man's stiff hat as a derby or straw skimmer." That term must be archaic (since men don't wear derbies or straw skimmers - whatever they are - any more). I've never heard of it. Maybe in the 1930's and early 40's, however, it was a word that was in use and would have been generally recognized. 

Another thing to mention is that "kelly green" is a color. It doesn't match the color of the M17A1, but they are both shades of green.

At any rate, thanks folks for weighing in and trying to answer my question.

Mark D.

Maple Creek

Interesting too that aef1917 reported reading references to the M17 being referred to as a "tin kelly." This supports the theory that "kelly" referred to a type of hat. It would make sense then that people would call the M17 a "tin kelly" and then shorten it to just "Kelly" for the later M17A1 version.

I think we may have nailed it! I'm going with this explanation. 

Mark D.

I think phantomfixer's explanation fits pretty well, at least as far as "tin kelly" goes.  I've also seen WWI examples of the Mk. I/m1917 being referred to as a "battle bowler" or "tin derby", so comparisons to civilian hats were definitely something soldiers made.