WWI Army Ambulance Service medals group

mvmhm

Another gem, and currently a mystery, is this WWI medal grouping, which includes the Victory Medal with bars for Italy, the Italian War Medal awarded by Benito Mussolini to American veterans, and a scarce US Army Ambulance Service Medal...there's also three Austrian medals likely taken as souvenirs.

Mark sends

IMG_20220602_192440.jpg

IMG_20220602_192506.jpg

IMG_20220602_192519.jpg

IMG_20220602_192412.jpg

collectsmedals

Very nice group of medals from World War 1. I have never seen the U.S. Army Ambulance Service Medal before, thank you for sharing it with us. If I saw just the drape I would have assumed it came from a Purple Heart. I also never knew the Italian War Medal was awarded by Mussolini. There is always something new to learn in this hobby!

Yes, the Italian medal comes with a large certificate with Il Duce's signature on it...there wasn't one with this group, but I have another one from a man in the 322nd Infantry....I also thought it weas a Purple Heart when I opened the box these were in (medal wasn't visible.) 

Mark sends

• 3 weeks later...
Croix de Guerre

These would have been issued to a soldier attached to the US Army Ambulance Service in Italy.  They were sent as part of an expeditionary force along with the 332nd Infantry regiment of the 83rd Division.  Too bad the patch isn't with the medals.

F17F0CBA-3715-4FDA-85AC-FA68A4604EA4_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a fully patched 332nd uniform with a yard long photo of his company, the Italian War Medal and the certificate that goes with it...it's possible the family has some other items but who knows when those will surface...

Mark sends