Wings for the common man

John Cooper

I thought I would start a thread after a conversation with fellow wing collector Paul C. Sometimes we get cought up in the high end area of collecting that highlight examples that are very hard to find or cost the same as some folks mortgage payment crying.gif!

Wing collecting offers many areas in which you can pick up very nice examples and not break the bank. These wings can offer lots of fun and enjoyment for the collector who is interested in one or more aspects of the hobby. Included but not limited too areas such as building a display around the wing or replacing a wing on a tunic or maybe even just simply collecting specific wing patterns that you enjoy. There are numerous areas to explore w00t.gifthumbsup.gif

To kick this off here is an interesting wing I picked up not long ago which is interesting for several reasons. The overall condition is like new with what appears to be a lacquer coating on the obverse with light patina on the reverse.

Now the wing pattern itself is attractive in that the size of the shield when compared to the massive shoulder area, large smooth primary feathers and small secondary feathers combine to catch the eye.

I hope you enjoy this wing and will post wings from your collection no matter if you have 1 or 1000!

Regards,

John

gemscopilot1a.jpg

Another nice one, AE & Co Navigator:

post-182-1235487573.jpg

post-182-1235487565.jpg

The hallmark is in the "arc" of the center

( and yes, that is an ebay picture hallmark, I am currently selling this one)

There are some ways I find higher interest in the more common wings—look for attractive toning, or for a particular finish, or some other special focus.

This gunner’s wing was found in an Eisenhower jacket where it had sat for 50-60 years. In the woolen environment it had acquired an even, flat gunmetal grey tone. Its pin had broken shortly after it was new and so it was put away…and left there for all those years.

Since it was not a high value wing I gave it just a soap and water cleaning which left its toning unchanged, while revealing an extraordinarily beautiful surface.

post-3515-1235488372.jpg

This picture pairs up a couple of nice gunner wings, each of which have attained their age with a graceful dignity and a blazing tone. The lower wing is the same as the wing in the previous post, while the upper wing is one that has been suggested in another thread as being a Daniel Smilo piece. Whatever it is, it is a beautiful wing.

post-3515-1235488551.jpg

Thanks for adding to the thread guys!

Paul S - in a converstation I had with a mutual collector friend combinded with the Silver FS wing you posted which is marked Vanguard it appears that SMILO is not the likely maker. Although the Aircrew wing posted was in a SMILO box there is some evidence that the wing may just have found its way into the box. I have sever several NIB SMILO wings and the pattern is very different.

In the conversation I had we discussed the possibility that Vanguard may have bought the HOB and produced this pattern post war while someone else may have done so during the war. At this juncture there is not enough information either way. The research continues.

John

Keep posting em!

Nice Photos Paul! I love the quality details found with Balfour aka LGB wings. This is evident when comparing them side by side as you have done.

John

Another one that has an interesting tone are the Amcraft wings, I have had several of these that had gone "yellow" due to the heavy factory applied lacquer. Unfortunately I don't have one right now, but I'll check my picture archive

militarymodels
I really like this one. It may be a sweetheart wing but that is OK... It is marked STERLING on the reverse.

Boys, she's pretty. Can you picture her standing up? :lol: Don't get any wrong idea, I'm talking about the wings here.

Here are a couple of my favorite. Both are sterling.

1.jpg

More great wings guys thanks for posting! Steve knows I have a soft spot for the Balfours and the White Co. wing is nice as well. The two "Juarez" wings are a nice addition and always stike an interest due in part to their unique design. Last but not least the CP wings posted is a nice way to round things out.

Keep posting guys along with what caught your eye about that specific wing(s) because it is not about how many wings you have or how rare they may be.

Cheers

John

I have to take offense at the general tone of this thread, as their are no such thing as wings for the common man! Any collector of wings has already demonstrated a high degree of intellectual development and artistic refinement that is much greater that the pedestrian collectors of helmets, medals, uniforms, patches and other mundane detritus of war.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that collects wings with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And medal collectors and patch pickers at the Show of Shows

Shall think themselves accurs'd they don't have pilot badges,

And hold their ricker mounts cheap whiles any speaks

That collect wings with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

.....yeah, to much coffee this AM. pinch.gif

Here is a very interesting clutch back aircrew wing of a very unique style. Never seen anything else like it, and for me, but for me, it represents a very interesting wing.

post-1519-1235755514.jpg

Here is a very interesting clutch back aircrew wing of a very unique style. Never seen anything else like it, and for me, but for me, it represents a very interesting wing.

That is an interesting poem Patrick; although we've often suspected that you were also a fine poet. ;)

Here is a Flight Engineer wing badge by the same unknown maker. Although it has no backmark it is made of a lower grade of silver than sterling; therefore, I've long thought that it may have been made in post-WW2 Germany.

Cheers,

Cliff wink2.gif

post-4542-1235763255.jpg

Thank you fellows for showing these beautiful wings.

I believe my favorite wings are the bombardier wings, but then again I like finely feathered patterns and I always get a new thrill by finding something that I have not owned.

John

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that collects wings with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And medal collectors and patch pickers at the Show of Shows

Shall think themselves accurs'd they don't have pilot badges,

And hold their ricker mounts cheap whiles any speaks

That collect wings with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

.....yeah, to much coffee this AM. pinch.gif

LOL @ King Frost V!

Here are a few wings of a common sort...one of Dad's is the top one. None of these are marked sterling and all of them are coated in (Rhodium?) some kind of material that is nearly white. The backs are painted in a semi-gloss black. Detailing is fair.

Thought picking up a "crew" of these would be fairly simple, but it has proven to be a bit of a challenge--I think the coating tended to wear off pretty quickly. Still need an Aircrew and a Gunner. Dad had a couple of other wings in the same pattern, but marked sterling.

post-3515-1235829489.jpg

Good question on the coating used Paul. I always thought rhodium is more shiney as opposed to the more satin type finish of these wings although it may be the photos think.gif

Do you think it could be nickel plating or some type of anodising? Do you know when your Dad may have bought these?

John

Do you think it could be nickel plating or some type of anodising? Do you know when your Dad may have bought these?

The odds are they are brass with a nickel plate followed by a silver plate. Before using any silver plate you should always provide a barrier plating of nickel. It prevents the silver from moving into the brass. Their are two types of nickel plating - regular and mirror. With the regular you get a dull look and then the silver on top will have a dull look. The mirror plating is bright and therefore the silver will be of a mush higher luster.

Rhodium plating is more of a silver shiny coating, and its cost is very high. Doubt it would be used on wings.

Anodizing is not used on brass - for those of you that don't know "Stay-Brite" is actually anodized aluminum used as brass replica.

Dad would have picked all his wings (4) up from Sept. 1943 to March 1945. The picture is accurate in showing the surfaces to be satin-like in appearance.

The picture below is the same top wing paired with a similar wing in sterling and so marked that shows the coating having chipped away over time. The obverse designs appear to be the same.

post-3515-1235846591.jpg