Should I restore this m1 helmet shell or Should I keep it the same?

helmut

Blacksmith

In my opinion, it’s worth more as a curio piece of biker art than any restore attempt would leave it.

FT.Monmouth1943

You can find much better examples than that one for $90 or less. You should save your money for something better. 

- Jakob

manayunkman

Did it sell?

You’ll find a better helmet here on the forum.

What kind of helmet do you want?

9 hours ago, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

You can find much better examples than that one for $90 or less. You should save your money for something better. 

- Jakob

It's bit late like one month late

2 hours ago, helmut said:

It's bit late like one month late

So, you purchased it and then asked about what you should do with it? You may have wanted to ask that question first. 

Added pictures for future reference:

Screenshot_20220606-065617_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220606-065644_Samsung Internet.jpg

9 hours ago, Bugme said:

So, you purchased it and then asked about what you should do with it? You may have wanted to ask that question first. 

Added pictures for future reference:

Screenshot_20220606-065617_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220606-065644_Samsung Internet.jpg

maybe or maybe not

2 hours ago, dmar836 said:

I wish you wouldn't have done that, Bugme. That really hurt my eyes this early on D-Day!

Dave

Your welcome.

22 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

In my opinion, it’s worth more as a curio piece of biker art than any restore attempt would leave it.

I do agree in some aspects. I agree that it is a interesting piece but I think whoever did was not terribly smart.

manayunkman
1 hour ago, helmut said:

I do agree in some aspects. I agree that it is a interesting piece but I think whoever did was not terribly smart.

Why aren’t they smart?

16 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Why aren’t they smart?

cuz WHO IN GODS NAME WOULD DO THAT TO A WW2 SHELL

These used to be $5 even into the later 1990s. There are many that were used to make folk art projects and even lawn ornaments through the decades. Few non-collectors would know if the shell was WWII or 1980s. A friend of mine has an M-1 "turtle" in a flower bed in front of his house. Not smart is buying it without asking unless you wanted such a painted shell. But that's just my opinion of it.

ludwigh1980

Interesting piece. In the 60-70's these helmets had little value compared to what they are today. If the Artwork is indeed original to the period. it is actually worth more as a biker culture/ motorcycle helmet than a piece of militaria. I have seen vets take their helmet that they were issued being an M-1 or even a flight helmet and repurpose it as a motorcycle helmet. Just because a helmet has been say redecorated, if done during the period (for example hippy peace rally helmets) it can be worth a substantial amount. I have seen original hippy decorated helmets bring close to $1000 at auction. 

28 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

These used to be $5 even into the later 1990s. There are many that were used to make folk art projects and even lawn ornaments through the decades. Few non-collectors would know if the shell was WWII or 1980s. A friend of mine has an M-1 "turtle" in a flower bed in front of his house. Not smart is buying it without asking unless you wanted such a painted shell. But that's just my opinion of it.

I do agree that it may have not been a good idea to purchase this helmet specially for $81.48 but I guess we all learn from mistakes.

manayunkman
2 hours ago, helmut said:

cuz WHO IN GODS NAME WOULD DO THAT TO A WW2 SHELL

What really is at stake here is that this is an M1C.

They lack More judgement than we thought.

52 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

What really is at stake here is that this is an M1C.

They lack More judgement than we thought.

How do you tell if it is?

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

It has male snaps on chinstrap.

Yes, but it appears they are post WWII chinstraps which appear to be clipped on the loops. I could be wrong but I dont think the 50s/60s era jump helmets are that uncommon.

manayunkman

They look sewn on to me.

I don’t see any metal clips.

So Helmut what are the straps like?

Isnt this a 1970s clip-on? I think I have a 70s era helmet somewhere. I will have to look and see if its the same/similar.

20220606_213647.jpg