MK II pineapple grenade fourth body type without bottom filling hole?

Mark 2

Hello forum

Were any of the WW2 - MK2 fourth body type grenades without the bottom filling hole painted yellow in 1942 before they changed it to olive drab?

Persian Gulf Command

Mark 2, yes to your question. All body types can be found w/ original yellow paint although some will be found with OD paint applied in the field.  Here is a photo of an original yellow solid body grenade (fourth from the left). 

P6300188.JPG

P6300197.JPG

Thanks New Yorker, great photos just what i wanted to see. It seems to be a very short period of time from when the newly prodused solid based grenades that where painted yellow, presumably in 1942, to the decision from the ordnance commitee to change the colour from yellow to olive drab, somewhere in between 1942 and 1943.

I asked this question on the forum because iv'e seen one for sale and thinking of buying it, but was unsure of the yellow paint on the fourth body type grenade.

But as the picture's show, the evidence is there.

Many Thanks

Persian Gulf Command

Just be careful about the yellow paint on any grenade. Here is a statement I made on a previous thread about the yellow paint:

"The issue with these is always if the yellow paint is period.  I would suggest that you make sure by 1. determining if the paint is very hard.  Meaning if you can press your fingernail into the surface and it easily leaves a dent the indication is that the paint is still curing and has been recently applied. 2. Put the grenade in the sun or apply heat with a hair dryer. If there is any smell of the pigment carriers, again the paint is still curing and has been recently applied.  If none of these tests are positive, then it's all about the tone of the yellow color and patina on the paint surface.

15 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

This Grenade just sold on GB:    Good Reference, & Original Paint IMHO!

Yellow Grenade.jpg

Yellow Grenade2.jpg

Yellow Grenade3.jpg

Yellow Grenade4.jpg

Great pic's again thanks, i can see what you mean by the patina, looks natural and original.

This is the one i bought this morning, it does'nt show the solid base but was assured it is.

What do you think of this one.

1(123).jpg

P6300188.JPG.8e9595de9eff18dbc3c45837fd86bd51.jpeg

3(104).jpg

25 minutes ago, Mark 2 said:

Very nice, great reference pics, i presume the yellow grenades escaped the olive drab repaint and maybe rarer to find.

5 hours ago, Mark 2 said:

Great pic's again thanks, i can see what you mean by the patina, looks natural and original.

This is the one i bought this morning, it does'nt show the solid base but was assured it is.

What do you think of this one.

1(123).jpg

P6300188.JPG.8e9595de9eff18dbc3c45837fd86bd51.jpeg

3(104).jpg

I have doubts about your container, it would not be correct for a yellow grenade. The M6 fuze came out very late war, it is a detonator for TNT loaded grenades, not an igniter fuze. All yellow painted grenades have the older M10 series igniter fuzes. 

My first assessment is the container matches the M6 marked spoon. I say spoon because the fuze body does not look like an M6 body( it should be shorter, stubbier, and have a red sealant instead of green sealant.An M6 also has a “ half moon “ pin above the safety pin. I am unable to access my collection for comparison. 

My initial thoughts, a put together. Here is why. The container matches the M6 inked spoon, but the fuze body appears to be an M10 igniter, not an M6 detonator. To be correct, the M6 fuze would have an OD color body and the half moon pin. ( note: does your spoon have a black paint on the lower section?- pics do not show ability see a black stripe).It is unlikely a grenade produced by the factory in Mar 1945 would have still been yellow. 

Not sure I explained the discrepancies. If I can get my late war M6 TNT example I will post pics, but you can search my posts from years ago explaining the differences. That said, yellow painted grenades are sought after, but an authentic M6 TNT example is much harder to find than an early painted yellow one.

Persian Gulf Command

Let me add to what "917601" said.  The grenade is a fine WW2 MkII. Yellow paint is original. The Fuse Lever marked M6 A4 II is incorrect for a Yellow Grenade but the Fuse Bouchon could be fine and it appears to have the original fiber washer, which is a plus. Finally the pull ring for a nice Yellow Grenade should be Zinc coated steel.  

No need to be discouraged as you have a very nice yellow grenade but if your goal is to have an early-mid WW2 example you should make some changes.

To be a complete and correct WW2 example the container caps should read "HAND GRENADE, MK. II   Container M41". I've added some pictures.

The Lever should be marked either M10 A1 or M10 A2 or even an M10 A3 Also, added some photos.

P2020114.JPG

PA200195.JPG

PA200196.JPG

DSCF4567.JPG

G 7.JPG

P1160236.JPG

19 hours ago, 917601 said:

I have doubts about your container, it would not be correct for a yellow grenade. The M6 fuze came out very late war, it is a detonator for TNT loaded grenades, not an igniter fuze. All yellow painted grenades have the older M10 series igniter fuzes. 

My first assessment is the container matches the M6 marked spoon. I say spoon because the fuze body does not look like an M6 body( it should be shorter, stubbier, and have a red sealant instead of green sealant.An M6 also has a “ half moon “ pin above the safety pin. I am unable to access my collection for comparison. 

My initial thoughts, a put together. Here is why. The container matches the M6 inked spoon, but the fuze body appears to be an M10 igniter, not an M6 detonator. To be correct, the M6 fuze would have an OD color body and the half moon pin. ( note: does your spoon have a black paint on the lower section?- pics do not show ability see a black stripe).It is unlikely a grenade produced by the factory in Mar 1945 would have still been yellow. 

Not sure I explained the discrepancies. If I can get my late war M6 TNT example I will post pics, but you can search my posts from years ago explaining the differences. That said, yellow painted grenades are sought after, but an authentic M6 TNT example is much harder to find than an early painted yellow one.

Thanks for your info.

The MK11 grenade arrived in the post this morning. On a closer inspection the fuze body does have a half moon pin above the safety pin, and the fuze body has got a almost clear see through green hue to it, that you probably couldn't see properly in the photos. The spoon is olive drab all the way down with no black paint on the lower section.

17 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Let me add to what "917601" said.  The grenade is a fine WW2 MkII. Yellow paint is original. The Fuse Lever marked M6 A4 II is incorrect for a Yellow Grenade but the Fuse Bouchon could be fine and it appears to have the original fiber washer, which is a plus. Finally the pull ring for a nice Yellow Grenade should be Zinc coated steel.  

No need to be discouraged as you have a very nice yellow grenade but if your goal is to have an early-mid WW2 example you should make some changes.

To be a complete and correct WW2 example the container caps should read "HAND GRENADE, MK. II   Container M41". I've added some pictures.

The Lever should be marked either M10 A1 or M10 A2 or even an M10 A3 Also, added some photos.

P2020114.JPG

PA200195.JPG

PA200196.JPG

DSCF4567.JPG

G 7.JPG

P1160236.JPG

Thanks for the photos again!

I have seen a container but will have to check it out again, and i am able to get my hands on a M10A1, M10A2 and a M10A3 Fuze.

Can i ask you these question if you don't mind.

My MK11 arrived this morning and was a bit surprised to find its got a more amber yellowish colour to it, not bright yellow, is this correct.

what is the big black A stamp you find on some of the fuze spoons.

what is the faint light green colour you find on some of the fuze body, spoons and safety pin. 

Persian Gulf Command

The color of your grenade is exactly what you want, a deeper yellow, as you stated amber color. The deeper amber color occurs because after 75+ years the oil carrier of the paint has oxidized to an almost brown color.  A lighter brighter yellow would indicate a new/recent re-paint job. 

The "A" stamped on the top of some levers is a mystery to me and I'm also am hoping someone can answer what and/or why it was applied.

Earlier war time grenade fuse levers, pins, and rings were zinc plated steel. The green seen on late WW2/Post War parts is an anodized coating that served the rust proofing function. 

17 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

The color of your grenade is exactly what you want, a deeper yellow, as you stated amber color. The deeper amber color occurs because after 75+ years the oil carrier of the paint has oxidized to an almost brown color.  A lighter brighter yellow would indicate a new/recent re-paint job. 

The "A" stamped on the top of some levers is a mystery to me and I'm also am hoping someone can answer what and/or why it was applied.

Earlier war time grenade fuse levers, pins, and rings were zinc plated steel. The green seen on late WW2/Post War parts is an anodized coating that served the rust proofing function. 

Much apprieciated.

Thank you.

The "A" stamped on the top of some levers is a mystery to me.

—————

Still have to find my M6 TNT late war example, but from memory, the “A” is found on the late war M6 fuzes which were detonators required for TNT filled bodies. The M10 series fuzes were “ igniters”, to ignite the flash powder filling.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:11 PM, Persian Gulf Command said:

Also, the color of fuze sealant was greenish in M10 fuzes, the TNT filled grenades with a detonator had a reddish lacquer sealant. These colors can sometimes be seen on the lower section of the fuzes that were fitted inside the grenade. 
sorry, I have examples but am unable to access them.

Do a site search.Many have posted info,I even can’t remember what I have posted over the years.This thread shows the green sealant I mentioned. I thought I had posted the red M6 sealant, unable to find.

Example:

On 6/11/2022 at 1:11 AM, 917601 said:

Do a site search.Many have posted info,I even can’t remember what I have posted over the years.This thread shows the green sealant I mentioned. I thought I had posted the red M6 sealant, unable to find.

Example:

Ok thanks for your advice, this is quite a subject you can find yourself getting into, its all new to me since i bought my yellow grenade last week.

Nice photo, i see what you mean now by the green sealant, i,d be a proud owner if i owned that yellow one.

Persian Gulf Command

Since you're from the UK, here is an unusual grenade, a yellow Mills No. 36. Apparently, some were used State Side for evaluation having received the yellow paint as was standard for HE ordnance in the U.S. This example may have come from the Aberdeen Proving Ground Collection when it was dispersed a number of years ago.

PC130258.JPG

PC130262.JPG

PC130267.JPG

PC130268.JPG

PC130269.JPG

PC130265.JPG

Persian Gulf Command

It's in my collection and yes very rare! 

Discussed my yellow Mills No. 36 with member of BOCN (British Ordnance Collectors Network) who told me about the possible APG Collection connection and that he has never seen another original U.S. ordnance yellow painted Mills Bomb.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, Persian Gulf Command said:

It's in my collection and yes very rare! 

Discussed my yellow Mills No. 36 with member of BOCN (British Ordnance Collectors Network) who told me about the possible APG Collection connection and that he has never seen another original U.S. ordnance yellow painted Mills Bomb.

So you've found a gem, don't throw it away, if you do throw it my direction !