USMC Major Recieves British DFC

Allan H.

Today, March 22, 2007, Britain's Queen Elizabeth II did something that hasn't been done in over 60 years. She bestowed the British Distinguished Flying Cross upon US Marine Corps Major William David Chesarek. Chesarek received the award for piloting a helicopter into a hostile situation in order to rescue a wounded British soldier.

You can see the related story at the following site:

www.onemarinesview.com/one_marines_view/2006/12/wreathsacrossam.html - 30k

Allan

• 1 year later...
usmcaviator

I just saw this, I realize it is an old post, but just had to comment on the peanut gallery sidebars. This is a squadron mate of mine. He is a bit senior to me and taught me how to fly and employ my aircraft tactically. You can comment on his "rack" (when you are in front of the Queen of England you can tell her the "foreign" DFC is worn last. He is showing his host country respect, by wearing it first), speculate as to his deserving his awards, and bash his hair all you want.

I can tell you he is a professional, well respected, graduate of MAWTS-1, one of the best helo pilots around, and is deserving of more awards than he wears on his chest. I believe he won one of his Air Medals with "V" (he has muliple) with me during March of 2003 when we were with the same squadron that pushed into Iraq for the initial thrust towards Baghdad. The others, I believe he won during the Najaf or Fallujah offensive.

The British dont just let any American fly with them, they just don't hand out DFCs for nothing, and Americans dont just get an audience with the Queen. Basrah is a tough city, I supported the British there on April 7th when they took the town down. My lead got shot down over that town. Next time read the full story about the actions and the lives he saved before you post silly comments about a guy that probably has close to 800 combat hours in two different type/model series and is a two nation hero.

S/F

Mike