Caring For Leather Jackets

Dominik

I've got a couple WWII leather flight jackets that are very special in my collection. I live in a very dry state and was curious if anybody had any tips on caring for the leather and preserving it? Thanks!

Airborne-Hunter

Don't do anything to the leather. No direct sunlight. UV Free LED. Some people go nuts with acid free containers. Thats expensive. If you want to display it try to maintain humidity around 50%. If in storage, seal it. Moth balls react with some vinyls especially older ones so be aware of suit bags, ect. I store all my stuff in non-reactive poly bags. Be leery of scented/odor eliminating black garbage bags - anything that off gases is bad.

2 hours ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

Don't do anything to the leather. No direct sunlight. UV Free LED. Some people go nuts with acid free containers. Thats expensive. If you want to display it try to maintain humidity around 50%. If in storage, seal it. Moth balls react with some vinyls especially older ones so be aware of suit bags, ect. I store all my stuff in non-reactive poly bags. Be leery of scented/odor eliminating black garbage bags - anything that off gases is bad.

Currently I just have the jacket hanging in my display room on a cloth hangar. It is out of direct sun contact and doesn't get too much light. I'll make sure not to put anything on it. As of late I've even considering buying some sort of frame to keep it in for better protection. I do appreciate the advice.

Leaving any vintage uniform, but especially leather, on any kind of hanger is very bad for it. Store them gently laid flat or on a frame that distributes the weight of the garment. Stress is the enemy.

LOL. I was reminding my wife just yesterday that most of my flight trousers have all been hanging on Shaker-style pegs by their elastic straps for almost 25yrs. Would I suggest that? Absolutely not! To me it's proof that what we often do for the moment, like hanging trousers by the elastic suspenders, temporarily using a bad hangar, or going cheap on non-archival picture framing, can suddenly turn into many years with untold damage. I kinda don't want to go look. I could take them down and see how they have changed but that would do nothing but encourage people to do similar unwise things.

I think a jacket on a form is a pretty well supported method but few of us have that kind of space.