Post war OSS veteran's pin

This just sold on eBay for a record price of $2,042.00 (see link).  These were mailed to former members of the OSS with a certificate after the war to prove that the recipient was once a member of the OSS.  I remember when these were selling for what I thought at the time was a pretty high price of $300.00 for a post war piece that was never worn during the war.  The enameling on this piece is cracked and a small chuck is even missing.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225002830906?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5335821211&customid=&toolid=10001&nma=true&si=sncm4bYU8MPKvEWJjd0eGQNWaH4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

OSS pin (1).jpg

OSS Pin (2).jpg

Wow! I bought one from the daughter of the veteran a couple months ago for $350, which I considered retail.  

The two bidders "fighting" over it above the $370 mark both have pretty low feedback scores, makes me wonder if shill bidding played a part here (though the sellers other items don't really show signs of it). 

manayunkman

You had to send away for these after filling out some paperwork.

They are fairly rare.

manayunkman
3 hours ago, 316th FS 324th FG said:

I have been looking for one in the 3-400 range for the last 6 months to no avail!

What prices have you seen? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I reconnected with the daughter of my OSS veteran over the summer, she found this wooden plaque in a box in her basement and wanted me to have it.  I was also able to get a few small paper items/photos from her. Per his NARA file (which they sent for free to me, OSS is housed separately in DC) he was a motor pool NCO for OSS in England. 

image.png.4348defb438b0a2c992a3330153e4e22.png