Vietnam Campaign Medal Question, 1967

frank2far

Good Evening,

My uncle was KIA in March of 1967 at the Battle of Getlin's Corner, said the be the most decorated Marine Battle in the Vietnam War. His platoon leader was Lt. John Bobo, MOH recipient. I inherited his medals from my grandmother years ago. However, among her things was a ribbon for a Vietnam Campaign medal with a '60 device, however, no medal. He was only in "country for a few months before being KIA in this battle. I do not have his DD214, but would he have been awarded this medal? Here are the medals we have and then a photo of valor medals from the battle.

Thanks

IMG_7984.jpg

1002b-1080x452.png

2934_1024x1024@2x.webp

The RVN Service Medal was a purchased item and not issued by the US Government 

Bill

2 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

The RVN Service Medal was a purchased item and not issued by the US Government 

Bill

Thanks, Bill. 

So, as a KIA Marine during that time, is that something that would be appropriate for his display or just leave his grouping alone.

Thanks

If it was me and you could get one i would add it since it is a family group

He would also be entitled to the Combat Action Ribbon and the RVN Gallantry Gross Unit Citation and possibly some unit awards like the Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) and/or the Navy Unit Commendation ribbons

Bill

21 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

If it was me and you could get one i would add it since it is a family group

He would also be entitled to the Combat Action Ribbon and the RVN Gallantry Gross Unit Citation and possibly some unit awards like the Presidential Unit Citation (Navy) and/or the Navy Unit Commendation ribbons

Bill

Thanks Bill, he has the RVN Gallantry Cross with Palm as shown with his medals. 

The unit citation for the Gallantry Cross was a Unit award given by President Ky before the end of the war to all US personnel (retroactive) - It is the ribbon in a frame with the device

Bill