Confederate Artillery Sword

Recently found this sword in a local antique shop and didn’t know what it was. I put it down and went home to try and learn anything about this sword.

After a short research effort I learned it was a Confederate Artillery short sword. This type has been called the Mobile Alabama Artillery short sword. 

With my newly obtained info at hand, I rushed back to the shop and purchased the sword. I felt really lucky to stumble across this scarce type Confederate sword. This sword is not in great condition but I can’t complain. 

Chris

4AB88CE4-A67E-4198-B0CB-D10D1C0CE793.jpeg

154929F3-F395-4F86-A1E8-AB2561246CC1.jpeg

6700C1AC-FF29-4D89-AC5E-0FFCD4F80065.jpeg

8C4445B2-A930-49B1-8790-3DEAA37B0C9F.png

Going to try and gently clean the sword. 

I have been told that the manufacturer of this sword is unknown, but these swords were captured by Union forces at the surrender of Fort Morgan in Mobile Alabama. 

Chris

60DB4559-12CE-4563-9D45-8C01E21ECDB8.jpeg

133A72E2-228E-4022-A554-FB20414424D1.jpeg

Great find!  Has a great look.  Yes, just some WD40 to stabilize it. Could have been a battlefield pickup many years ago 

Great find!  That would have been a give of a lifetime for me. My great great grandfather was stationed in that fort at the beginning of the war for two years with the artillery unit until his term ran out and he was conscribed into the infantry. Congrats! 

I would leave it as is with just a little oil. 

1 hour ago, blademan said:

Great find!  That would have been a give of a lifetime for me. My great great grandfather was stationed in that fort at the beginning of the war for two years with the artillery unit until his term ran out and he was conscribed into the infantry. Congrats! 

I would leave it as is with just a little oil. 

Thank you KurtA and Blademan. 

Blademan , that is a very interesting history of your GG Grandfather. He and this blade could have spent some time together.  

My GG Grandfather was also in the Confederate artillery but he started with the Va 12th Infantry and ended up with Pegram’s Light Artillery. Taken prisoner in the last week of the war and survived and returned to his home in Petersburg Va. 

9 hours ago, VMI88 said:

That was a great find - thanks for sharing! 

Thank you VMI88. 

I did gently clean the blade with some oil. The blade was painted black at some point in time and still has some black paint on the blade. I chose not to remove the paint and leave the blade as is. 

Chris