Field desk

Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt

.....just received a field table, 1983 vintage. The field desk was my Dads. It says property of Camp Atterbury. I drug it out of an old shed when the family farm was sold after my Mother passed away. Honestly until I saw one on this forum. I wasn't aware of what it was. Who knows what became of the internals. Be up to me to either put together an original copy. Or, make into something more functional or usable. Important thing is, I can resurrect a piece of history that has a personal connection.

20220527_120941.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Fort Susquehanna

That is a Company Records Chest 26-C-1834.  It is WWII-era.  There should be a little tag just on the top near the lock mechanism which will have a manufacturer and date.  If it says Camp Atterbury, that was a WWII Glider Training Base. 

2 hours ago, Fort Susquehanna said:

That is a Company Records Chest 26-C-1834.  It is WWII-era.  There should be a little tag just on the top near the lock mechanism which will have a manufacturer and date.  If it says Camp Atterbury, that was a WWII Glider Training Base. 

.....my Dad went back to Atterbury after he was injured in Europe. We only lived a few miles from there. Don't know the circumstances or specifics of how he ended up there or what he did. He was like a lot of old WW2 vets I knew. They just never talked much about what happened or what they experienced. He was a medic, always said he was one of the lucky ones. His unit didn't get picked for D-Day. He was just never big on talking about what he did or saw.