Opinions on different M1858 smooth side canteen with cover

Would appreciate Opinions on M1858 smooth side canteen with cover?

looks good to me - my main concern is the sling - does it look like original sling? \

thx for the help again

mike 

Note 

the other canteen that i asked for opinions - sold for $700 and I wasn't spending that right now 

unioncanteen.jpg

unioncanteenrev.jpg

Easier to judge such things in hand. That being said the sling is a much later replacement based on construction, turn of the century perhaps. I'd be interested in seeing what the buckle looks like.  Cover looks like blanket material and could be period. 

gravecreek

Looks like a Bullseye canteen, not smoothside. Sling is not original. Hard to tell its age.

M24 Chaffee

It’s definitely a bullseye canteen. I’m not sure but I think that the way the stopper is attached to the spout is a post war or at least later war type chain?

Frank

iron bender

I'd guess this is one of the early attempts at repurposing 50's/60's army gear during the early 70's. The strap width and material looks familiar. I don't have my canteen books in front of me but I'll check when I get home this evening. 

Nice bullseye. Whether the sling is 'original' depends on interpretation. It may not be from the contractor but it could be something a soldier did. Be good to see that buckle front & back. From the photos the sling looks period or at least 'old'.  One things for sure - don't mess with it. Variations like this even if technically unverifiable make for a much more interesting collection. 

Pattern 1862 Corrugated Philadelphia Canteen that has been updated to pattern 1874.  Chambers Strap and Buckle and brass wire neck ring and chain.  So, no not really Civil War, but Civil War stock being updated to a new pattern.   

It's a nice example, I'd think it should go for between $300 and $450.