Need information on an M7A1 Bazooka Round

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I found this round at the flea market yesterday and just looking for information on it. Mainly because my collecting my be considered as a bit insane by many but even I'm not crazy enough to keep live ordnance laying about the house. With that said I did find some great information on another thread on the forum but honestly I am still slightly confused. Mainly because there was disagreement on that thread about black rounds not always being inert training rounds. As far as is this one is concerned it is obvious black and always has been. There is also some type of resin that fills the back third or so of the stabilizing tube and there is nothing else present. The only printing left is a very faded A1 on the warhead. So with all that said am I correct to assume that they are all indications that this is in fact an inert M7A1 training round?  One other question, does anyone know where I can possibly pick up a pretty reasonably priced set of fins for this?  Thank you!

IMG_3747.JPG.7fc5d56a937f1c456d4526511745d09a.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG.79dcdb80b4fe88142a11a8fe9c07e337.JPG

Kaptainssurplus

The M7A1 is a practice round, so it wasn't inert from the factory, since it would have a propellant charge. Is it totally inert now? Well, it could be, if the propellant has been removed/spent. As for black meaning inert, it depends on the piece of ordnance and what ones considers (opinion) "inert". The correct way for a piece of ordnance to be inert is totally inert, no propellant, no spotting charge, no marker, no live fuse, no low explosives, no nothing. Thats were the uninformed opinions come in, most think blue and black color means inert, but it doesn't, it means practice/training, which could still contain live fuses, propellant, low explosives, spotting charge, etc. But could blue and black pieces be inert, yes they could but you can't just go off the color and say its inert/safe. There are factors to consider with practice/training ordnance. For example, an M31 practice rifle grenade, it is blue, and this piece of ordnance is totally inert from the factory. That is a cause of confusion for people, but if you use logic- blue means practice/training, then it's obvious why it is the color blue, because its a practice rifle grenade, not because its inert. But there are other pieces of ordnance that are blue and inert but could still contain explosives, like the MK 76 practice bomb, its usually inert, but can be loaded with a low explosive spotting charge used to spot were the bomb hit, so if unloaded its inert but could be loaded as well. Then there are peices that are blue and live from factory, like the M228 grenade fuse, it has a blue color spoon but contains explosives, thats why it had an added brown band on the spoon. So its a muddy mess sometimes, you have to dig a but deeper, than just color alone yo know if something is safe/inert. And also just so you know, the actual (modern) color for inert is gold/bronze, not blue, used even throughout NATO. 

Manchu Warrior
36 minutes ago, Kaptainssurplus said:

The M7A1 is a practice round, so it wasn't inert from the factory, since it would have a propellant charge. Is it totally inert now? Well it could be, if the propellant has been removed/spent. As for black meaning inert, it depends on the peice of ordnance and what ones considers (opinion) "inert". The correct way for a peice of ordnance to be inert is totally inert, no propellant, no spotting charge, no marker, no live fuze, no low explosives, no nothing. Thats were the uninformed opinions come in, most think blue and black color means inert, but it doesn't, it means practice/training, which could still contain live fuzes, propellant, low explosives, spotting charge, etc. But could blue and black peices be inert, yes they could but you can't just go off the color and say its inert/safe. There are factors to consider with practice/training ordnance. For example, an M31 practice rifle grenade, it is blue, and this peice of ordnance is totally inert from the factory. That is a cause of confusion for people, but if you use logic- blue means practice/training, then its obvious why it is the color blue, because its a practice rifle grenade, not because its inert. But there are other peices of ordnance that are blue and inert but could still contain explosives, like the MK 76 practice bomb, its usually inert, but can be loaded with a low explosive spotting charge used to spot were the bomb hit, so if unloaded its inert but could be loaded as well. Then there are peices that are blue and live from factory, like the M228 grenade fuze, it has a blue color spoon but contains explosives, thats why it had an added brown band on the spoon. So its a muddy mess sometimes, you have to dig a but deeper, than just color alone yo know if something is safe/inert. And also just so you know, the actual (modern) color for inert is gold/bronze, not blue, used even throughout NATO. 

I understand the concept because when I was an 11M the blue tipped training rounds for the 25mm Bushmaster where solid shot with no explosives but they sure did blow a big hole in them wooden pop up target 5 ton trucks on the STX lanes. I also understand that I used the word inert incorrectly and there is obviously nothing that concerns me in in the tube and my only concern is if the warhead itself is inert. I appreciate the information.  Thanks!

Unscrew the head, ( soak in Kroil, or penetrant) you will find a rod looking weight to compensate for the removed energetic ( explosive) filler. If unable to unscrew, check the balance, an un filled head with no rod will be noticeably tail heavy. However, you have an expended trading round.I have examined quite a few. Tails non existent, most tore up, bent when fired. Just my initial thoughts.

Manchu Warrior
2 hours ago, 917601 said:

Unscrew the head, ( soak in Kroil, or penetrant) you will find a rod looking weight to compensate for the removed energetic ( explosive) filler. If unable to unscrew, check the balance, an un filled head with no rod will be noticeably tail heavy. However, you have an expended trading round.I have examined quite a few. Tails non existent, most tore up, bent when fired. Just my initial thoughts.

The head turns but it will not come off and there is nothing in the tube and with no fins it is top heavy.  Thanks!