Reissued medal grouping to 1LT Horton - 504th PIR, 82nd Airborne

USMarineCorps

USMarineCorps

Hi all,

I recently found this neat medal grouping on Ebay for a decent price.

Although all are post WW2-issue (except for the PH), the veteran's story and achievement remains.

2LT Donald F Horton fought with the 504th PIR, 82nd Airborne in Italy (Siciliy, Anzio), the Netherlands (Market Garden), Belgium (Battle of the Bulge) and Germany.

It appears they were in some sort of frame given the small strips of velcro and glue residue on the medals and patches, though not sure if this was done by the vet himself or his NOK.

I have picked up several groupings from veterans and NOK in the past, and there are always some oddities in these types of lots (stuff from later time frames that they would not have received during WW2, but which they picked up because it fit a certain theme).

In these case, there appear to be several items that don't really add up: a 3rd award CBI, early 1980's prototype MFF wings (never approved), as well as a Belgian commemorative war medal.

Has anyone ever seen this Belgian medal in another grouping? Perhaps the vet or his family mistake his AMDEF for this medal when putting the frame together (given the similar ribbon pattern and colors)? According to Wikipedia, foreign recipients of the Croix de Guerre were entitled to this medal, but I found no official source that confirms this.

Are these medals privately engraved? I do not recall seeing the cursive "O" on any other replacement medals I have picked up in the past.

Any way, thank you for looking, and I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Fred

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

manayunkman

Good catch preserving the story.

My dad was a boy during Market Garden and lived in the 101st drop area.

USMarineCorps

Thanks! I will always like this types of grouping for the historical significance of the events. 

I will need to clean up these medals and put them in a nice riker mount.

Any thoughts on the Belgian medal? I have never seen this in a US medal grouping before and it is not authorized for wear by the US Armed Forces.

Fred

• 4 months later...
USMarineCorps

I also wanted to ask whether the engraving on the BSM and GCM are done by the government or privately?

Not sure if I’ve seen those slanted “O”s before.

Fred

All the engraving looks post WW2 but I can’t comment on the slanted O’s.

The Belgian medal might have been issued post war too.

USMarineCorps

Appreciate your feedback. All of these (except for the PH) are certainly post-WW2 (probably 80's) issue. I am just not sure wether the engraving is typical for reissued medals.

Fred

• 1 month later...

The Belgian medal is the Belgian Campaign medal of WW2. Never saw one awarded to a US soldier of WW2. Belgium awarded a lot of their WW2 War Crosses and some Orders of the Crown to their Allies, but that was always via a Belgian General Order. Probably the veteran assumed that he was eligible when his reissued medals came to him.

I saw the same happening with the Dutch War Remembrance Cross present in US WW2 medal groups. As i'm Dutch I checked out our National Archives for this and found out that only a few hundred were actually issued to French Para's of the SAS for their actions in the North of the Netherlands in april 1945. Furthermore a very, very few were awarded to Allied Leaders like Churchill, Truman etc.

I know that US medal dealers sold the European Campaign medals to lots of US veterans from the 1990-ties on with a made up story like they qualified for these medals, but that is not true. The dealers only wanted to make some extra dollars. 

I will leave the group as it is. It is a very nice, hard earned group awarded to a honest veteran.

Regards 

Herman 

Two scenarios come to mind. First the vet or family, post war, gathered every medal that he was owed by the end at the war. Second, I wonder if Belgium issued a bunch of these during the return visits by so many airborne vets in the past few decades? Also the velcro makes it look like maybe the vet did some appearances or multiple return tours. Could be just part of being in a display case though. Just spit balling.

Nice grouping!

Dave

An Arizona-based dealer, now deceased, used to market the Belgian WWII Commemorative Medal heavily into the US veterans' market, usually hinting that merely serving in Belgium qualified for the medal.

• 2 weeks later...
USMarineCorps

This has been a great discussion on the Belgian WWII commemorative war medal. For what it’s worth, it appears that Major Winters was either awarded one of these or convinced by a dealer that he was qualified (the attached screenshot is from Wikipedia but you will also see the medal in his shadow boxes).

I am still surprised to see the CIB 3rd Award. I assume this his NOK mistakenly ordered it as there is no indication that he served in another conflict after WW2?

In addition, I am surprised that his jump wings did not come with the group.

2D8C9206-1489-452E-9926-2EAF64FB043A.jpeg

On 10/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, USMarineCorps said:

Appreciate your feedback. All of these (except for the PH) are certainly post-WW2 (probably 80's) issue. I am just not sure wether the engraving is typical for reissued medals.

Fred

Yes, for that time period, the engraving is "standard government reissue engraving". Hope that helps!