Let's see your original dog coats !!

Eric Queen

Eric Queen

Specialized coats for dogs (usually unit mascots) goes back to WW1 and even before. Most had unit insignia, some type of rank, etc. 

Originals are hard to find. I only have this one (USMC WW2)

Look forward to seeing more. 

coat 1 x.jpg

coat 2 x.jpg

coat 3 x.jpg

coat 4 x.jpg

Phenomenal

I used to have a USMC dog coat circa 1970s but ended up trading it

I have the mascot's coat for the 8th Machine Gun Battalion in my collection.  Have been searching hard for a photo of the dog for 5-6 years now with no luck.  I know it's pictured in the Company A yardlong, but have not found one for sale yet.  Needless to say, the coat is part of a much larger grouping and is NFS.

Coat is made of German feldgrau, with German buttons.  Note the gnaw mark near where the hindquarters probably hid fleas. 

Screenshot_20220517-204939-492.png.54159770f91cd0f0d0cfa796e7986692.png

Eric Queen

Great piece Austin. Thank you for sharing. I honestly don't think I have seen a dozen of these in the past 10 years. Probably something very few had the foresight to hang on to. 

Do you know the breed of dog this was worn by? Difficult to gauge the size from the photo. 

No idea on the breed but small (20-30lbs).  In the halftone published copy of the yardlong I've seen, the dog looks to be white with black spots.

Here's one I had about ten years ago and traded towards something else...in retrospect I wish I'd kept it

post-22-0-12246300-1350177616_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-81446600-1350177642_thumb.jpg

Eric Queen

Neat piece Brig. I just never see any of these for sale, regardless of era. My guess is (and could be wrong) that the Marine Corps doesn't release these to private hands. (i.e. once they hit their service lifetime they are destroyed and new ones procured) 

I remember seeing those when you picked them up Peter. Very cool. 

• 2 months later...
Blackjack007
On 5/17/2022 at 9:54 PM, AustinO said:

I have the mascot's coat for the 8th Machine Gun Battalion in my collection.  Have been searching hard for a photo of the dog for 5-6 years now with no luck.  I know it's pictured in the Company A yardlong, but have not found one for sale yet.  Needless to say, the coat is part of a much larger grouping and is NFS.

Coat is made of German feldgrau, with German buttons.  Note the gnaw mark near where the hindquarters probably hid fleas. 

Screenshot_20220517-204939-492.png.54159770f91cd0f0d0cfa796e7986692.png

Beyond cool that’s amazing!

• 8 months later...
Eric Queen

Picked up a couple more of these recently (thanks to Forum friends/sponsors) and that I would share. 

Both are obviously hand made and more likely unique. 

First is for a little guy. Probably a Yorkie or miniature breed of some kind. 

mascot coat.jpg

Eric Queen

Next is one from the 82nd Airborne. Most likely early/mid 60s(?). 

I usually don't collect K9 items from the Vietnam era but thought this was pretty cool (and if a Mascot it is likely that the dog stayed at Bragg and did not go to Vietnam)

82 a.jpg

82 b.jpg

82 c.jpg

82 d.jpg

82 e.jpg