Marine Chopper as Marine vessel

tredhed2

My neighbor's late brother was a crewchief on Marine Helicopters, and my neighbor found this damaged photo. The chief was stationed on Okinawa for most of his career, but my neighbor has no info on the unit(s).

Can any of you ID the type of aircraft (we're both doggies) and by any slim chance, have any specific info as why this bird ended up floating instead of flying? Even though the quality of thr photo is poor, you can still see mountains and shore behind the nose and front rotor blades. That leads us doggies to believe it may be Okinawa in the background.

Thanks in advance.

post-622-1235269680.jpg

That's a CH-46 SeaKnight. That's all I know about that bird but if its anything like the CH-47 Chinook that the army flies then it is capable of landing in the water to deploy troops, usually they're sitting in a little boat ready to go soon as the ramp touches water.

Of course in all likelihood these guys probably had to make an emergency landing in the water. That would be why the big fans are not turning.

Klorvin Borno
That's a CH-46 SeaKnight. That's all I know about that bird but if its anything like the CH-47 Chinook that the army flies then it is capable of landing in the water to deploy troops, usually they're sitting in a little boat ready to go soon as the ramp touches water.

Of course in all likelihood these guys probably had to make an emergency landing in the water. That would be why the big fans are not turning.

I remember that newsreel involving the last days of the Vietnam War, where U.S. military were pushing helicopters off the decks of aircraft carriers and into the water to make room for more landing aircraft. I only remember seeing Huey's, and I don't know if a Seaknight would/could right itself after being "tossed" in. (I think my suggestion is probably pretty far-fetched)

I remember that newsreel involving the last days of the Vietnam War, where U.S. military were pushing helicopters off the decks of aircraft carriers and into the water to make room for more landing aircraft. I only remember seeing Huey's, and I don't know if a Seaknight would/could right itself after being "tossed" in. (I think my suggestion is probably pretty far-fetched)

Yep, I know which news reel you're talking about. Brings a tear to my eye every time I see it.

IIRC the aircraft that were pushed overboard were VNAF helicopters that had flown out to the fleet. I don't believe any of the US aircraft were pushed over board.

I am willing to bet this was a training incident.

Yep, I know which news reel you're talking about. Brings a tear to my eye every time I see it.

That would have been Operation Frequent Wind and I am pretty sure only VNAF birds went overboard. Still a very sad day.

Ray

Sorry I was typing at the same time as Mr. Burket looks like.

I know we have gotten a little far afield from the original thread, but here are some pics from Operation Frequent Wind. First, why they had to push helos overboard:

Toiletbowlmidway-984b.jpg

no room for people on the ship. These are all VNAF birds as far as I can tell.

Here's "The Photograph" that has come to symbolize Frequent Wind:

toiletbowlfrequentwind-003b.jpg

This is definitely a VNAF bird as evidenced by the red outlines national insignia with yellow bars. Also, note the late war anti-strella "toilet bowl" exhaust meant to send heat from the exhaust into the rotorblades to help dissipate the heat signature.

Sorry if i hijacked your thread Tredhed. I always like to show the history whenever possible.

Ray

Klorvin Borno

ok, since I took this thread in the wrong direction I'll try to take it back,

I found the following at:

http://www.vectorsite.net/avch47.html

The CH-46A had fixed tricycle landing gear, with twin wheels on all three units. The main gear was fitted in rear sponsons that also contained self-sealing fuel tanks with a total capacity of 1,438 liters (350 US gallons). Some Sea Knight variants would also be fitted with auxiliary external tanks, as discussed later. The gear configuration gave the machine a nose-up attitude that made cargo easier to load and unload. Skis could be fitted to the landing gear for operation on snow and on marshy ground. The Sea Knight could float on calm waters in an emergency, though it wasn't really an amphibian.