Low serial SSM

onsilverwings

onsilverwings

Recently acquired a split wrap broach SSM with a serial in the 17xxx range. Pre ww2 at least. Ww1? 

Possibly issued in WWII - If it was unnamed than it was issued in WWII - what is the number because some are traceable

Bill

onsilverwings

Unnamed. It came with a cased DFM (unnamed), an unnamed GCM, and a really nice ww2 Australian made 5th AF patch. 

onsilverwings

Unnamed. It came with a cased DFM (unnamed), an unnamed GCM, and a really nice ww2 Australian made 5th AF patch. No evidence they necessarily belong together…

I have  #19712 in my collection - unnamed but traceable by number - late 1942 award to a 1st AMD Division Tank Commander for North Africa

Bill

onsilverwings

So early 42 or before. I’m curious. How do you tell if it’s Army or Navy or is there no difference? Somewhere I seem to have read “short” ribbon? And thank you for your research. Is the “roll” you refer to available online? 

Navy Silver Stars are unnumbered and have a full wrap brown frosted broach (These were made by the US Mint) - If it is numbered it is from an Army procurement - yours should have a stiff ribbon with a split broach and is from the original 1932 Bailey Banks & Biddle US Army procurement - I found the roll somewhere on line years ago - the email for the guy who would have more answers regarding the roll is [email protected].

If you are starting to get into medal collecting "The Call of Duty" by Strandburg & Bender and "Sacrifice Remembered" by Dave Schwind 

Bill

onsilverwings

Not necessarily getting into medals. I’ve been a collector since I was a kid in the 60’s. My first purchase was with paper route $. I bought a civil/indian wars kepi, forage cap and cartridge box with buff belt all for $30. All 7th NY. And all id’d to 3 different ppl. I have a large wing collection (2-300), @40 M1 helmets, etc etc. have most of the medal tree just never spent much time on them. I found these yesterday and knew it was a good buy but gonna Flip these so trying to get some background info. I seriously appreciate all your input…..

Bailey, Banks, and Biddle of Philly - Given what all came together its likely an award to a 5th AF guy - there are quite a few known groups to 5th AF guys with this type of medal in those groups, though I am not sure of the medal numbers within those group.  A good find nonetheless! 

Kyle 

onsilverwings

Nothing at all on the air medal. And the email I received as a possible source for further info does not deliver