Interesting WWI Patch Find

daniel griffin

daniel griffin

I have owned these two loose WWI patches for a number of years, both came with WWI material but were not identified as to the unit. Recently this card came to me which identifies the unit. 

b11.jpg

b12.jpg

b10.jpg

eaglerunner88

What is the M.T.C.R.? Google is just coming up with Missile Technology Control Regime, which obviously is not it.

The patch has been identified as the 1st Replacement Depot at Noyers sur Cher. Though its also sometimes identified as related to the hospital at St Aignan (at least that has been the supposition here on the forum). 

MTCR 307, was Motor Transport Corps Repair Unit 307, he was in Company F of that unit. 

I've seen a few variations on the windmill patch.  I'm not sure if they are all from the same unit or not.

A friend of mine, who has since passed away, had a framed selection of about 15 WW1 patches on it, including a windmill on a red background that was more vertical than than circular.

It always intrigued me and I'd love to have it, but the family has never let anyone in or sold anything off since he passed a decade ago.  Maybe someday I can at least get a picture of it for reference.

ASMIC has pubbed a number of St. Aignan patches since 1953. Some have a flattened letter “S” under the windmill. Most, if not all, are considerably cruder than the three very fine patches initiating this post; the backgrounds also differ from a square to a strange pentagon shape w/ it’s “point” cut off. 

I don’t believe these two initiating this post are for St. Aignan**, which was the location of a Depot Div (6th) and may in fact be for the hospital there. Have never seen a grouping with a St. Aignan patch similar again to the third patch depicted initiating this post.

** and if anyone would know it would be Dan Griffin.

world war I nerd

Image of an unidentified Doughboy wearing a vertical windmill shoulder patch design that has typically been associated with either the AEF hospital located near at St. Aignan, or with any number of AEF organizations based on or near St. Aignan. The only visible collar disc is that of "U.S.".

Personal647aaa.jpg

world war I nerd

Other examples of the alleged St. Aignan shoulder patch saved to my files from various sources.

No. 03.jpg

world war I nerd

More of the same. Note the different colors of the windmills ... also from various sources.

No. 04.jpg

world war I nerd

Round windmill patches, possibly representing AEF organizations that did not serve on or near St. Aignan.

No. 06.jpg

world war I nerd

A St. Aignan style windmill patch as worn by a soldier who arrived in France as a member of the 41st Division.

It has been asserted that because certain elements of the 41st Division made up a portion of the nucleus, or cadre of men, that would eventually become St. Aignan, that the Windmill insignia is closely linked to those founding members who originally hailed from the 41st Division.

No. 08.jpg