Does a "glass" bedded stock detract from value?

EmperorWangDong

EmperorWangDong

All, I recently picked up a fairly early '43 Remington 1903/A3 with original barrel. Some pitting in the grooves but lands look tight and shiny. Nice straight pinned stock, arsenal marked, nice handguard. Was purchased from the CMP in 2005. In your opinion, does a nicely done glass bedded stock detract from the value of the rifle? It makes the action nice and tight in the "original" straight stock and can not be seen with the rifle assembled. I am wondering whether or not to leave it in place or remove it. Perhaps I am overthinking it. It also came with an adjustable aftermarket trigger which I have changed back to original for sake of - well, originality. Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,

EWD

Brian Keith

If it were mine, I would leave it if it doesn't show. Probably makes it a better "shooter". Even if your not a shooter, the next caretaker may be. That being said, if it bothers you, try to remove it. Just my two cents.

BKW 

If it was done by a military armorer for the military while in military service, then no foul/no harm. If done by other than the military then yes, it devalues the rifle. Removing the glass bedding is pretty intrusive, I would not do it. Maybe find another correct type/era stock.

Chuck

Chuck

EmperorWangDong

All, I do believe this was done after the fact, post CMP sale by its former owner, but the action does fit nice and tight. I wish I had a photo handy but it appears more of a golf ball sized blob of white epoxy or bondo type material that I was hoping to possibly be able to pop out of the (very oily) stock but I do not know what kind of prep work if any was performed underneath the blob so I may just leave it alone. I was just wondering if it was a major detractor of value having been done. Thank you for the replies.

EWD

Blacksmith

I agree with Lambo, it definitely hurts value, but anything you do to remove it will only worsen matters.   

I would leave as-is, or find an un-altered stock for it.

Agreed, since it doesn't show I'd just leave it alone.  I would have switched the trigger back too since that's an easy fix, but there's no way to remove the bedding without leaving evidence it was there.

Are you sure it is there for bedding purposes rather than a repair? Would not be the first cracked '03 stock that was epoxied back together or reinforced with epoxy. 

EmperorWangDong
On 5/12/2022 at 12:47 PM, M1Garandy said:

Are you sure it is there for bedding purposes rather than a repair? Would not be the first cracked '03 stock that was epoxied back together or reinforced with epoxy. 

Yes, it is strictly for bedding purposes, there are no cracks or repairs on the stock at all. That settles it, ill leave it (and it may help to make it a better shooter) - and not lose any sleep over it.

EWD