Bataan defenders Diorama

scottplen

I watch they were expendable and decided to try my hand at a Bataan diorama ! The base I made a few years ago for a future Vietnam dio I never made so I may recycle it ? 
I started with USMC in  jungle by masterbox and picked up a icm US wwi weapon kit . 
1st problem had to cut top of heads of to fit the different kit helmets ! 
2nd the one marine just not painting as a navy guy for some reason so he a marine again ! Just waiting on wwi style campaign hat for another kit on  eBay to arrive ! 
I think the navy Bataan infantry turned out pretty cool ? The one guy reminds me of Steve McQueen from the Sand pebbles. 
I will keep work on it and share my progress !

6FB3775A-57E8-4B24-B06B-9B1FBFC6DBFE.jpeg

6F45F27D-5A53-4227-A25C-C61376B5284E.jpeg

059B46A7-49AC-487C-A205-A5704672899B.jpeg

30A49A65-4AD7-4082-BB5B-F0F3C3529942.jpeg

58CD30D2-FC24-4AC5-85AF-BC72A092D0B5.jpeg

BD7B942A-FCE8-4398-90EE-CECB5114EDCF.jpeg

2239B367-2FBE-497A-AC32-D65367B4AADE.jpeg

30EB2938-59CC-4F6F-9A10-716ADDE288D8.png

Very very nice. Those corks look so real! Seriously though, great work, you have a lot of talent and this is a subject not often seen. Thanks for sharing. 

Proud Kraut

Very nice conversion of the Marines kit. Great work so far, looking forward to see your dio completed.

Your project reminded me of this display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. 

I realize you are portraying Sailors and Marines, but this was their depiction of a US Army Air Corps defender in the Philippines. 

It's rather poignant, with the depicted man showing a grim determination in the face of an overwhelming enemy.   It's like he's

looking over the horizon for a better tomorrow.

AA 1.jpg

AA 2.jpg

Just tossing this into the thread - I recently learned that the defense at Bataan also involved a case in which an entire USAAF squadron (or unit of some size) was entirely remade as an Army infantry outfit for that battle. 

Does anyone else recall this?

Salvage Sailor

I have a large section of my library filled with first hand POW, escape & evasion memoirs.  Much of the ground echelons of the 24th Pursuit group & the 14th Bombardment squadron were converted into an ad-hoc infantry defense battalion and fought as such on the Bataan peninsula.

3 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

I have a large section of my library filled with first hand POW, escape & evasion memoirs.  Much of the ground echelons of the 24th Pursuit group & the 14th Bombardment squadron were converted into an ad-hoc infantry defense battalion and fought as such on the Bataan peninsula.

That was it, thank you...

Linedoggie

Sailors would be correct  not marines for Bataan.  the 4th marine regiment didnt serve on Bataan, they were at Corregidor

3 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

Sailors would be correct  not marines for Bataan.  the 4th marine regiment didnt serve on Bataan, they were at Corregidor

Thanks for info