Korean War Purple Heart Grouping with Telegrams and Additional Paperwork- HEARTBREAK RIDGE!

Allan H.

Private First Class George Etzel of Marion, Iowa served in the 2nd Infantry Division during the early days of the Korean War.  He was wounded in action during one of the most famous battles of the war- Heartbreak Ridge! The true centerpiece of the grouping is the telegram that was sent to the PVT Etzel's next of kin announcing that he had been wounded in action.

PFC Etzel had a very unusual injury. He was wounded when a North Korean artillery round that was filled with propaganda leaflets dropped into his foxhole and exploded. The concussion broke PFC Etzel’s arm and caused other injuries. Had the round been a high explosive round, he would have undoubtedly been killed. Details of his wounding come in the form of a letter from the Red Cross and period news clippings from the hometown newspaper. Also included in the group is the upper half of a casualty transfer tag, which would have been attached to him after being wounded. 

The grouping includes PVT Etzel's Purple Heart Medal, his Korean Service Medal and the Korea UN Service Medal. All are vintage pieces but are as pristine as the day they were made. Private Eztel earned a Combat Infantry Badge for his service. The badge is a standard, WWII manufactured piece. Included in the group is  a ribbon bar for the three awards, and a pair of uniform removed blue on gold PFC chevrons. I added a WWII era 2nd Infantry Division SSI to add to the display. It didn't come with the group, but I think it adds to the display. 

Etzel1.jpg

Etzel2.jpg

Etzel3.jpg

Etzel4.jpg

Etzel5.jpg

Etzel6.jpg

Etzel7.jpg

Etzel8.jpg

manayunkman

Great paperwork and unusual story.

He probably loved propaganda.

Thanks for posting Allan.

• 1 month later...

Stellar.  I have a similar Korean War medal group (though NOT Heartbreak Ridge)…

Well done.