29th Massachusetts Vets Badge, Lt. Conrad Homan, Medal of Honor for Saving the Colors at the Crater

cylekostello

Thought I'd share my newest arrival, and this one is real special. It is a 29th Massachusetts Infantry Veterans Badge. Engraved on the reverse to C Homan. The only C. Homan in the 29th was Conrad Homan who was awarded for saving the national colors at the Battle of the Crater on July 30 1864.

Medal Design/Craftsmanship

The medal itself is of uncommonly crude quality, however matches exactly the description in the 29th's regimental history. The description is as follows: "was a rough bronze medal, stamped with the figures of an upraised right forearm, grasping in the hand an uplifted sword; beneath this a row of cannon-balls, and under all the figures "29."" The year bars and engraving on the rear also match known examples exactly. The medal itself is markedly higher quality (notably appears to actually be bronze, while other known examples appear to be iron or pewter) than the other 29th badges I've seen, possibly an early example or a splurge by Homan. There are bars for each year of service and a large bar with the Latin text, Avt Viam, Inveniam, Avt Faciam or "I shall find a way, or make one". The ribbon is frayed at the bottom and has been resewn. However it is definitely original to the medal, as it is hanging on by a thread on the far left side.

Homan's War Service

But, now onto the really interesting part, the history! Conrad Homan was born on February 27th, 1840 in Massachusetts. At the start of the war Homan enlisted in Company A, 4th Massachusetts Infantry. With the 4th Hoffman saw little combat, first at Big Bethel. After his 90 day term Hoffamn re-enlisted and the 4th Mass would be consolidated with the 3rd. Forming the 29th Massachusetts Infantry.

Homan would serve with the 29th for the remainder of the war. Including Hampton Roads' where they manned a land battery, lobbing shells at the Merrimack. Homan would see his first hard fighting on the Peninsula where the 29th would fight in the famous Irish Brigade, the only non Irish regiment to do so.

After the Peninsula, Homan would march to Antietam. Where they would engage in bitter fighting along the Sunken Road. After Antietam Gen. Meagher had declared the 29th "Honorary Irishmen" and offered them a green flag as a token of their esteem. This caused some consternation among the old Yankee officers of the 29th, as a result the 29th was transferred to the IX Corps. This accident of history likely saved a great many lives as soon after the 29th was transferred out, the Irish Brigade was famously slaughtered at Fredericksburg.

The 29th went west with the IX Corps. Was present at the Surrender of Vicksburg, as well as Sherman's Jackson Expedition. The 29th, alongside its sister Massachusetts regiments would be honored with a monument on the Vicksburg Battlefield.

After Jackson, Homan went east to Tennessee. The 29th would fight hard in East Tennessee, handing Longstreet a defeat. It was in Tennessee that Homan would first be wounded, likely during the Battle of Campbell's Station. Despite his wounding and the privations endured during the siege Homan, and the lions share of the battered 29th would chose to re-enlist and see the thing through. Conferring on them the coveted title of "Veteran Volunteers".

Fortunately for Homan, he (& the rest of the 29th) were on furlough for the early stage of Grant's Overland Campaign. The now reduced regiment would be thrown back into combat at Cold Harbor. Where Homan would be wounded again. Despite his wounds Homan's courage was undiminished, as he would prove not once but twice at Petersburg.

Petersburg and the Crater

The 29th would fight in the early battles of the Richmond Petersburg campaign, taking moderate casualties. Among these fights was the Battle of the Crater. The 29th would take proportionally heavy casualties, including the color guard. Who would all be killed or wounded. Except for Color Sgt. Conrad Homan. Who, surrounded by rebels, refused to surrender himself nor his flag. Fighting through the Rebel masses Homan brought his tattered flag back to his line. It was for this act of heroism that Homan would be decorated with his nation's highest honor, the Medal of Honor.

The 29th would stay on the frontline for the remainder of the Richmond-Petersburg campaign, taking moderate casualties during the fall. But it was in their final engagement at Fort Stedman where the 29th would suffer their worst casualties, and where Conrad Homan would distinguish himself yet again. As the Federals launched their counterattack Homan would be the first one into the captured fort. Leading the charge that broke Gordon's assault and hastened the Fall of Petersburg and Richmond. Homan's last battle would be the breakthrough at Petersburg where after months of grinding warfare the Federals broke the rebel lines

For his bravery at Fort Stedman Homan would be prompted to 1st Lt. Some sources I've seen suggest Homan would've been recommended for a MoH had he not already been recommend for the Crater.

Post-War Life

Lieutenant Homan would muster out on July 29 1865. After (by his count) a whopping 23 battles. Returning home he would marry Margaret Hoffman and have three children who lived to adulthood. Homan himself would pass in 1922, but not before posing for this incredible photo in 1919. Homan (wearing his MoH - ran the photo through an upscaler and it distorted the shape a bit) and an unidentified veteran are surrounded by Massachusetts WWI veterans. Homan would pass 3 years later after a life well lived.

Hope y'all enjoy this rough medal to a bona fide Civil War hero!

PS: I seem to be building up a little Crater collection on accident. As I own one group to an officer who scouted the location for the Mine, another to a man who fought with the 58th at the Crater, and a few badges to Mass. gents who fought at the Crater.

unnamed.jpg.530914779713b39e8f4447e9834a4351.jpgIMG_4535.jpg.6568243898c3fc84370d7a4a70edaafa.jpg679994207_flagcdv.jpg.25f0d6947bf0083e9ee5cba3f15113c4.jpg2060101901_117_6020(1).jpg.41abf08967b9eaff9dd376fe6f0d3987.jpg534304444_HomanConrad(21).jpg.7b0232a57c980419579e94a84146592c.jpg1803520402_image-remini-enhanced-Copy.jpg.f988e8eb88b565e925e341216f199f8a.jpg8154746_1070586014.jpg.15fa4be22b78a08656d03686e0079070.jpg1047415936_HomanConrad(21)(2)-Copy.jpg.bad10810c6b454b3001c74d67dd7ca82.jpg

1403798163_HomanConrad(21)(3).jpg.ff0579f5c577ba76f058176936e2cdd2.jpg

Great badge and Soldier history. Thanks for sharing. 

Not a criticism but believe the "row of cannon balls" is a torse in heraldic terms.

Thanks again!

cylekostello
4 hours ago, FlyNavy02 said:

Great badge and Soldier history. Thanks for sharing. 

Not a criticism but believe the "row of cannon balls" is a torse in heraldic terms.

Thanks again!

Thanks, that's a new word for me! I know very little about heraldry. The bit about them being "cannonballs" comes directly from the regimental history. But the design is clearly inspired/directly lifted from the State Seal of Massachusetts which has the upraised sword over the torse. 

Like any regimental history, the one I quoted has a few little mistakes here and there.